Old 11-04-2011, 12:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 38' Baja special pulled it with a f250 diesel air bags
Did a great job
Old 11-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree that's too much boat for a 1/2 ton.

That being said my last 1/2 ton was a Chevy with the Towmax package and that thing would pull circles around the older 2500HD I have now.

So, you would need a newer 3/4 ton or 1 ton to do it. Or an older Diesel.

Last edited by onesickpantera; 11-04-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:18 PM
Registered

Towed my 292 900 miles from Virginia to Mississippi with my Dodge 1500 4x4. Weighed my truck and trailer due to military move. Boat, trailer, and gear was about 10000 lbs. Very glad to have elec/hyd brakes! No issues towing but it was not an enjoyable experience. I don't tow on a regular basis but would recommend at least a 3/4 ton.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
Why forget the dually 1 ton? A GMC 3500HD DRW will tow 17000 ball and 21500 5th. wheel. The 550's and 650's are big azz trucks and although nice, overkill for a 33OL.
Thats why I said never worry about what your "GONNA TOW" If, down the road you went to a big, bigger and bigger boat you would never have to worry about your tow vehicle, it was said more in jest than anything.

But, as far as I am concerned there is no such thing as "too much" tow vehicle [-:
Old 11-05-2011, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Best Gasser for towing IMO

I currently run a 2001 Chevy HD2500 8.1 496 with the Allison Trans. Plenty of torque and power for your needs. Will use some gas though.

Diesel , however, is the best when torque is concerned.

Half ton seems to be a little to small for sure.

Thanks
Old 11-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't get why people are always talking about pulling power, who cares. It's not really the issue. Heck a 35' can ne pulled with a Ranger. It's about stabillity at speed and the most important thing, stopping power. A heavy, stable and strong truck with great brakes is what the job calls for.

Sorry if I sound like I'm taking it a bit personal. But I really find it p!sses me off when I'm on the highway with some mororn, who tows a big load with a way too small truck and create a situation that no one on the road, including himself can control when something happens. I don't give a flying **** if he wrecks and kills himself, but way too often somebody else gets involved as well.

Kragar. This rant is not meant as a personal attack on you at all, just so you know. It's just my general way of looking at it, when others create dangerous situations on the roads this way.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 11-05-2011 at 07:19 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
I don't get why people are always talking about pulling power, who cares. It's not really the issue. Heck a 35' can ne pulled with a Ranger. It's about stabillity at speed and the most important thing, stopping power. A heavy, stable and strong truck with great brakes is what the job calls for.

Sorry if I sound like I'm taking it a bit personal. But I really find it p!sses me off when I'm on the highway with some mororn, who tows a big load with a way too small truck and create a situation that no one on the road, including himself can control when something happens. I don't give a flying **** if he wrecks and kills himself, but way too often somebody else gets involved as well.

Kragar. This rant is not meant as a personal attack on you at all, just so you know. It's just my general way of looking at it, when others create dangerous situations on the roads this way.
NO problem....as for the comments as to the "Question should have never have been asked"....I thought that is what forums are all about. I tow a boat from my home to the launch and an accational trip 50-100 miles away. Its ok, will probably end up with a boss 302
Old 11-11-2011, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mariah212Z
I currently run a 2001 Chevy HD2500 8.1 496 with the Allison Trans. Plenty of torque and power for your needs. Will use some gas though.
I have a 2004 - 3/4 ton burb with the 8.1L and 3.73's. It is a towing machine with a 32' travel trailer behind loaded to the 17,000 GVWR on the door. It is scary as I can forget I have a 37' frame back there on the highway, and travel trailers are not as aerodynamic as boats! Milage is about 7 towing, 14 mpg on highway cruising in the 70's, not bad for a 496!

If looking for a smaller truck to tow with, look at the ford F-150 with the eco 6 cyclinder I believe. 11,000 lb tow rating, has had some great reviews.

If you have to push it for a short trip, extra suspension control and E-rated tires really help a half ton tow better. Good electric brakes on the trailer make a world of difference also. But like others have said, just because it works around the block does not mean it is a good idea to do on the highway or a regular basis. Other people and thier kids also use those roads.

Brian