Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Scat crank in new GM 454 engine ??? >

Scat crank in new GM 454 engine ???

Notices

Scat crank in new GM 454 engine ???

Old 11-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it's just the engine...these are 350hp 454's so low HP...there's 10-15 places at any given time running the same ads..just like 800runslike new....all say the exact same thing...
Old 11-13-2011, 02:03 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a word or two to say about scat cranks. They are CHEAP CHINESE JUNK!! & I would not recomend using their junk in a lawnmower engine let alone a marine engine. I blew up my 502 in my boat & when replacing said engine found a cracked block even though it still ran Iwas approached by Jasper racing engines who told me they could fix me up. With a cracked block they would have to find a block but would transfer all of my internal parts to the other block after proper machining of course. I gave them the short block as they didnt need my aluminum heads. What I got back looked like new but Both Jasper & myself knowing that I was putting my whipple sidecharger & aluminum heads back on this block I pulled the oil pan to inspect their work. What I found was a Scat crank that looked like it was balanced by drunken monkeys there was drill flashing between balance holes, all the bearings were wiped out like they spun tested it with no oil! I contacted Jasper about this & got handed off just like the prime credit commercials on tv. So already being out 8000.00 for this junk I took this block to a builder that has a good rep for building strong reliable stock car engines & let him go to work on it. This is when I was told that Scat buys their steel from china & the metalurgy is different & the product is inferior to US made products.Then comes Jaspers end where are my mercruiser parts & why was I not informed about any changes they were making, hence the continual hand off. As you can tell I am still irked about the situation but I havent killed anyone over it. I will however continue to talk trash about SCAT products and JASPER RACING ENGINES as they are as bad or worse than any of everyone elses horror stories. If I do go through this again I will definately go to a reputable builder like Tyler or in the case of my 496's Raylar thanks for wasting your time reading my rant. Randy
Old 11-13-2011, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 1,182 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
I can't decipher if you actually ran the Scat crank and had a failure or not.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:27 PM
Registered

thats jasper for you...they sell junk !!! had my experiances with them as well...they have a good warranty program....good thing !!! I'll never use another...
Old 11-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rookie, no I took the block from the crate to an engine stand, rotated the block & removed the pan. I never even turned the crank at all & thats what I found. Ezstriper if any jasper reps ever contact you or any of your buds about their products I would be happy to loan you this junk crank they sold me to shove up their azz & rotate them to check the balance!!
Old 11-13-2011, 08:23 PM
Registered

I run a scat 4.25 crank 5k rpm all day. I beleive its all about the setup/build first, then the product. Im not saying they'r the best...and dont plan on arguing. Just offering another side.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

My Addiction, I think you are correct about setup & build thats on Jasper. But the problem with the crank was that the journals would not polish up & kept feeling rough spots, this is what I learned from Bill, the gentleman that worked on it. He told me he has had the same problem with other Scat cranks so he said he researched the issue & found that the foundries in china mix the contents differently which alters the finished product after the chemicle reactions take place during the forging process.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:40 PM
Registered

I agree they are not a great race crank..although I know several that race them...I would not....I just bought the same one that came in my new GM engine(what a joke there) and required a lot to balance on a crank they said ready to run right out of the box !!! not sure on the balance on the original, but the engine aways had a vibration @ 1500 or so...figure that one was junk as well...
Old 11-13-2011, 11:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I 'm sure you would know if I have a supercharger on this boat it gets to see a lot of boost regularly that is why I removed the pan, to double check that at least everything was torqued to spec. when I saw the bore holes in the counterweights I knew something was very wrong so I pulled a couple of main & rod caps then also saw the Scat stamp on the crank & the first thing that came to mind was when I put 4 rods through the side of my GTO block. I made a few phone calls, loaded the block & took it to Bill who runs a machine shop here in omaha then the lessons began. It might have worked ok in a runabout or such but that is'nt what I paid for & Jasper never would give any info on the subject. My final conversation with Jasper was showing a couple of their field reps the paperwork that came with the block & giving them 10 seconds to leave my property before I put the crank through their windshield.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:21 AM
Registered

well if you are running boost...why would you let jasper do the engine ?? they can't keep their stock ones together ??? have had to many issues with the hack jobs....they try to make something out of junk...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.