Scat crank in new GM 454 engine ??? >

Scat crank in new GM 454 engine ???

Notices

Scat crank in new GM 454 engine ???

Old 11-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got talked into it mostly because this whipple setup was designed to work on a stock engine and also Jasper had supplied a few replacement engines for my customers with no problems, but mainly because they assured me that all the good merc stuff that was already in the original would be used for that build. You know how it is trying to save a buck,plus I did'nt really know any boat hot rodders to ask advice from. Big lesson learned that is why I pay a lot of attention to anything concerning 496's cause I have 2 of them & have talked a few times with raylar & you can tell when someone has their sh!t together when they will take the time to speak & listen without the fas talking bullsh!t. You also know this sport is expensive so to save a buck always sounds good til you hear boom!
Old 11-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

amen on that one !!! the heads they patch-up(by welding) is what got me...welds came out !!! twice on same car different heads..then the replacement engine they sent after 2nd head failed...oil pump pick-up fell off of that one...killed the bearings...my attoneys boat..replace one 350 3 times in 2 seasons...last time piston came off at the wrist pin..by that time warranty was gone..as was the engine... built him a new one from scratch....good luck on your deal...putting mine back together this week...trying get it back in before have to move the boat for the winter...
Old 11-14-2011, 07:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Its gonna have to be next year because I'm in the middle of replacing my house after the missouri flooded all summer. I just need to finish the little stuff on the engine & get it dyno'd before I drop it in, all in good time can't wait to have to superglue sunglasses on to see in that boat!!
Old 11-16-2011, 06:52 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm with you !! good luck out there !!! well got the engine back from machine shop...got back together...hopefully way better than it was when "new" did balance this time...scat crank was off !! from the vibration that the engine had before, sure it the other was off as well....so much for balanced ready to install !!! hope to get back in the boat next week...if weather holds out !!!
Old 11-16-2011, 09:01 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Been using Scat Forged in my 540's since 2006, never had a problem. But then I'm only making 600 Hp, and 99.999% of the time I am at 3,000 or below as that is fast enough at cruise speed.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 1,182 Likes on 564 Posts

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
Rookie, no I took the block from the crate to an engine stand, rotated the block & removed the pan. I never even turned the crank at all & thats what I found. Ezstriper if any jasper reps ever contact you or any of your buds about their products I would be happy to loan you this junk crank they sold me to shove up their azz & rotate them to check the balance!!
The only reason I asked is that I know many people that have used Scat cranks up to 700HP NA and have never had any problems. (Eagle is a different story) But I saw that yours was a blown application and I thought if failed.

Thanks for the info
Old 12-13-2011, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont understand. Seems like you are blaming a bad balance job on the crank.

Scat didnt balance the crank and fill it with mallory metal - Jasper had to.

Scat has no way of knowing the bob weight of the reciprocating assembly and wont frill anything - the engines shop has to balance it.

If the balance job looked like amateur week it was likely Jaspers work and not scat.

Im not saying Id ditch the Sonny Bryant in my ilmor for a scat, but for the HP in this thread its going to be fine.

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 12-13-2011 at 09:39 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 411 Likes on 247 Posts

I have no dog in this fight, BUT, here is my experience with the 2 companies mentioned here.
I have been a professional mechanic for 25 years. I have installed dozens of Jasper engines (in cars, not boats) and every one of them has been perfect. The new engines start up just like you shut them off ten minutes ago and you never see them again. The only problem I ever had I caused myself. I switched 2 injector lines on a 6.5 GM diesel and cracked both pistons. Jasper replaced the engine and paid me to install it without question.

Scat on the other hand is a different story. I have purchased 2 of their crankshafts and threw both of them away. One was mis ground and the rod journals were not 90 degrees from each other and shook like crazy. The other required so much heavy metal that it was cheaper to buy a good crank. I would NEVER buy another.
Old 12-13-2011, 07:48 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Default Reply to uncle dave

Not sure if you were refering to my headache or not bot there was no metal added to balance my crank, They bored two holes about 3/4 inch deep so close together that there was metal flashing between the holes that broke away when I wiggled them. You are correct about the balance job being jaspers fault but the rough spots on the journals that would not polish out I believe started with scats casting & actually should have been caught by jasper also. BTW anybody wanna take a chance on a (new) set of jasper built rect port heads? Just kidding I will just do what I learned the hard way & have a REAL engine builder go through them before they go on anything. Randy
Old 12-13-2011, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Randy Nielsen
Not sure if you were refering to my headache or not bot there was no metal added to balance my crank, They bored two holes about 3/4 inch deep so close together that there was metal flashing between the holes that broke away when I wiggled them. You are correct about the balance job being jaspers fault but the rough spots on the journals that would not polish out I believe started with scats casting & actually should have been caught by jasper also. BTW anybody wanna take a chance on a (new) set of jasper built rect port heads? Just kidding I will just do what I learned the hard way & have a REAL engine builder go through them before they go on anything. Randy
Thanks.

Bummer all the way around.

I never pioneer any engine combo and lean on really old school guys when I get things built.

Cant help you with Jasper heads or anything else. I try not to comment on stuff I havent seen, but your experience sounds bad.

Being old school I just stick to one head company Brodix.

UD
Attached Thumbnails Scat crank in new GM 454 engine ???-406-rear.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.