Subwoofer basics >

Subwoofer basics

Notices

Subwoofer basics

Old 11-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subwoofer basics

I'm kinda confused. I pulled the 10" sealed Jl sub out of my truck and installed it in the cabin of my 25zx...same amp. It sounds nothing like it does in my truck...no where near as loud. I tried facing it a in several different directions. Whats the deal here?

I was planning on dropping some coin on a complete JL system with 10"IB subs. Am I going to be dissapointed? how do I get a marine system to sound like the system in my truck...do I have to build a ported enclosure???
Old 11-14-2011, 11:52 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

A truck is small enclosed area. Boat stereos take a lot more power and speakers to achieve the same results.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:28 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Yes I am sure you will be disappointed. It is very hard to get a lot of bass out of a boat. I am pushing 4-12's and a 18" and its loud, but 1/2 of what it would be in a car. Like Griff said, it will also take a crap ton of power to push your amps. It will take double that to make it loud enough to make a noticeable difference outside your boat. Plan on spending some serious dollars.
Old 11-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Registered

Open air sterio in a boat is just like the motor. You need alot more than you originally thought and when you get done and are pleased with the setup, someone else runs by you and your mouth hits the floor. JL makes great stuff you just need more of it
Old 11-15-2011, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

use a ported enclosure & not infinite baffle
Old 11-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Registered

how about this?...Clearly its not marine rated, but.....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CP112W0v2-JL...item1e64698d66
Old 11-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by tnc110
I'm kinda confused. I pulled the 10" sealed Jl sub out of my truck and installed it in the cabin of my 25zx...same amp. It sounds nothing like it does in my truck...no where near as loud. I tried facing it a in several different directions. Whats the deal here?

I was planning on dropping some coin on a complete JL system with 10"IB subs. Am I going to be dissapointed? how do I get a marine system to sound like the system in my truck...do I have to build a ported enclosure???
So it's in an enclosure now? When I installed 2 10" subs in my boat i used the are under the seat as the enclosure. I was a over the max enclosure area recommended bu Infinity but it was worth a shot. They sounded okay. I built two sealed boxes under the seat and they hit twice as hard, maybe more.

If it is in an enclosure now it should sound pretty good in the cabin as that is enclosed. Did you try playing with any adjustments on your head unit? I know mine has a level adjustment for the preamp outputs that make a HUGE difference. Just a thought.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:35 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

My head unit also has a control for the sub output. That could be an issue.
When mine was set to the neutral position, the subs were very weak. When I turned it up, it made a HUGE difference.
Old 11-16-2011, 08:59 AM
Beak botr
VIP Member

I used a 10" bazooka sub with 500 watt dedicated amp, Subs really need to be inside specific designed boxes for best effect. Mine will THUMP when I want it to. But my THUMP may be peanuts to what you want. The chairman (Sinatra) doesn't need much thump to sound good.

I put the bazooka under the rear bench, that also has two 6X10's with an amp for them, 6" rounds in the cabin driven by the receiver amp. I think my system sounds fine and that is all that matters. When the sub fires (pointed to the exterior hull of the boat) it vibrates the hull pretty good.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Registered

Clarion m309 hu...not too happy w it...just replaced a dual with it. The dual sounded much better. I have turned up the sub output... Emailed jl audio for advise

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.