Looking for 496 MAG/HO Electrical Harness

Notices

Looking for 496 MAG/HO Electrical Harness

Old 11-20-2011, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for 496 MAG/HO Electrical Harness

Anyone has one for sale?

I'm converting a DTS motor to a Mechanical one and it looks like I need to replace the complete harness as well.
Old 11-20-2011, 11:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

You sure? Cant you just disconnect it.

Wont you need to reprogram the ECU? Or will it detect DTS isnt connected - once you disconnect it?
Old 11-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
You sure? Cant you just disconnect it.

Wont you need to reprogram the ECU? Or will it detect DTS isnt connected - once you disconnect it?
I'm not sure what I really need but that's what I have been told.

I'm also converting to HO so I already have a non DTS ECU.

I also have a HO cam and a mech throttle body.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:54 PM
Registered

Does anyone have any info if I really need the new harness or not?
Old 11-21-2011, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Yes Tomas, the Merc 496 DTS engine uses a different ECM and harness than that used on the manual throttle models.
The DTS ECM can be re-tuned and unless you have to loose the DTS, you can do engine upgrades and stay with the DTS.
What are you trying or planning to do that is making the elimination of the DTS throttle a must?

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 11-21-2011, 11:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Raylar
Yes Tomas, the Merc 496 DTS engine uses a different ECM and harness than that used on the manual throttle models.
The DTS ECM can be re-tuned and unless you have to loose the DTS, you can do engine upgrades and stay with the DTS.
What are you trying or planning to do that is making the elimination of the DTS throttle a must?

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Hey Ray,

I'm converting to a mechanical system since I just bought the engine and don't want to use the DTS.

I'm still waiting to get the engine but want to have all the parts I need when I get it.

I already have a mech HO ECM, cam and a mechanical throttle body, so I also need to replace the harness?

What's the reason for replacing the harness?
Old 11-22-2011, 08:58 AM
Registered

Wink

Tomas:

The reason for either extensively modifying the existing DTS harness or using a complete mechanical throttle harness is because on the DTS engine there is not a seperate TPS, throttle position sensor, or IAC idle air controller like there is on the manual throttle engine. These two items are used on the manual throttle engine to control the ECM and the engines idle. On the DTS wire harness these wires are not there to connect these necessary sensors and controller and the throttle position sensor and the idle control are handled by a seperate group of wires feeding from the DTS ECM to the DTS throttle body. One could take the factory wiring diagram, add these wires or convert the DTS wires to the manual configuration and relocate any wires at the pin connectors at the ecm and with a manual throttle body ECM pin out schematic relocate the necessary pins.
Hope this explanation helps You understand the differences in the two systems.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 11-22-2011, 09:15 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Raylar
Tomas:

The reason for either extensively modifying the existing DTS harness or using a complete mechanical throttle harness is because on the DTS engine there is not a seperate TPS, throttle position sensor, or IAC idle air controller like there is on the manual throttle engine. These two items are used on the manual throttle engine to control the ECM and the engines idle. On the DTS wire harness these wires are not there to connect these necessary sensors and controller and the throttle position sensor and the idle control are handled by a seperate group of wires feeding from the DTS ECM to the DTS throttle body. One could take the factory wiring diagram, add these wires or convert the DTS wires to the manual configuration and relocate any wires at the pin connectors at the ecm and with a manual throttle body ECM pin out schematic relocate the necessary pins.
Hope this explanation helps You understand the differences in the two systems.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Thank you SO much for your excellent answer Ray! That was exactly what I was looking for!

I was also told there are different connectors on different year ECM's and of course also different connectors on the harness - is this correct and do you know what years are compatible?
Old 11-22-2011, 09:33 PM
Registered

Wink Changes in the harness make it tricky!

There are slightly different pin positions and wire color/code changes on the three ECM connectors and harnesses, but those three connectors are the same on all PCM555's used on the Mercruiser 496 engines. There are also three distinct versions of the manual throttlebody -non-DTS harnesses based on year model of the engine, one is early with ten pin main connector only, one has both 10 pin and 14 pin main connectors and one has only a 14 pin connector. There are also slight differences based on were the water pressure sensor is located and which year cam position sensor the engine has. I checked and we have a 496 manual throttlebody harness, so I PM'd you with that info if you are interested.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar