496ho rear main seal leaking a little oil >

496ho rear main seal leaking a little oil

Notices

496ho rear main seal leaking a little oil

Old 11-22-2011, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joeflint
sorry to hijack this thread, similar topic though. midway through the season I noticed a slight amount of engine oil in my bilge after a weekend of use or a good run. Probably about three tablespoons worth of oil. Cant figure out where it is coming from, engine performs well also and no noticeable change in oil level. It is a 496 with about 250 hours. Any ideas on where to check? Oil pan, drain tube seal, remote filter loose?? I checked the oil drain hose itself, it seemed to be in ok condition with no cracks or leaks. Thanks for any help!
You really should start another thread but,,,,, first make sure it is engine oil and not drive oil. Is it brown, green, or yellow?I would start by figuring what side of the engine it is dripping from into the bilge. Then if I can't trace it I would go with the dye. It can be hard to spot leaks on a black engine, but the blacklight helps alot. Also, hopefully you keep your engine clean, is is way easier to spot leaks.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Joeflint:

If this is engine oil, then try checking the oil filter/cooler adaptor at the rear left lower side of the block and the remote oil cooler and filter line fittings for being loose. On a few 496's some engines have developed some loose oil pan bolts in a few rare cases. Check those as well as around the front crankshaft/timing cover seal as these can sometimes develop a leak. Rear main seal leaks are rare due to the excellent design of the two piece real main seal.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Last edited by Raylar; 11-23-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

thank you for your help

mike