Engine corrosion prevention questions >

Engine corrosion prevention questions

Notices

Engine corrosion prevention questions

Old 11-22-2011, 07:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine corrosion prevention questions

I have a 2001 BAJA H2X with the Merc 6.2L MX MPI and I have a few questions about preventing internal breakdown of the cooling system.
First I have the history of the boat. It has been used only in salt water and stored on a dry lift indoors when not in use. I am the second owner, the boat only had 74 hours when I purchased it at the beggining of this season. I spoke to the lift operator at the marina when I picked it up and he said he has flushed it after every use. I also flush it after every use as it now has 120 hours on it. I had to replace the manifolds and risers at the start of the season and it ran great all summer.
My concern is the engine is now 11 years old and I want it to last so is there anything I can do to protect the internal cooling system? Is there anything I should look out for or replace now before it breaks rather then wait for it to go out?
Old 11-22-2011, 10:59 AM
Registered

You have replaced what normally goes bad so that is a big plus. Running salt away thru motor every now and then will also help. Also spraying down exterior the motor with wd40 will help keep out side stuff corrosion free.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Registered

Thanks Poker, I will start running salt away now I take it I can find it at West Marine, I do use wd40 to spray the exterior after every trip as well.
Old 11-22-2011, 02:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flush for at least 10 min. on the hose after each outing, leaving it un-flushed is a sure way to get issues. Wash down everything on the transom after flushing with fresh water. I don't know where you're located, but if winterizing, make sure to run the engine though with an AF that has a corrosion inhibitor in it, like for example the AMSOIL AF does, don't leave it dry when winterized and remember to fog. Replace all filters, drive lube and oil at the end of each season or when winterizing, also replace the impeller. Fog the engine and run AF though it, if left for lnnger periods of time during the season.

We only have salt water where I am, and it's one though motherf*****