Hydraulic steering help

Notices

Hydraulic steering help

Old 11-23-2011, 09:17 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hydraulic steering help

Hi All.
I'm installing hydro steering in my boat. I have all the external parts, helm, hoses, and filter. What else do I need? Can I use my regular power steering pump? Do I need an external reservoir?
Thank you.

Happy Thankgiving!
Old 11-23-2011, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you have the bulkhead fittings to go through the transom.

Also, you should probably get a cooler. Automotive type steering pumps were designed for the engine to spend most of its time running at 2000 rpm. When it runs at 4000-5000 continuously, there is a lot more heat production.

The reservoir is a good idea, as the volume in the rams changes somewhat depending on drive trim. The tailrod side of the ram has less volume.

On both boats I've had, they've had Merc/GM type steering pumps. The cap doesn't seal, so if you put a reservoir on, you need to get or make a proper cap. I've just made mine with a piece of 1.5" softwall hose and a homemade bolted bar clamp. That lets you put the reservoir up over the level of the pump, which helps keep positive suction head on the pump, and makes it less likely to aerate or foam the fluid up.

I read somewhere to NOT use Type F tranny fluid in your steering system, as it will kill the seals. Use Dextron/Mercron fluid or regular power steering fluid.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add the external reservoir and the cap for the power steering pump. It'll be easier to bleed and maintain level in system. Your regular Merc ps pump will be fine. don't forget the hydraulic sealant for the fittings when you put it together.
Old 11-28-2011, 05:46 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just finished my inside install, CP Perf says to use the non foaming GM power steering fluid..its clear by the way..doing the hose ends are a real pain without the tool by the way..