external steering >

external steering

Notices

external steering

Old 11-29-2011, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts
Default external steering

ok guys, i'm wanting to put external steering on my rage, but do not have enough room under my swim platform to clear the end cap, Ron at imco was nice enough to send me the AEC-1 end cap which is the standard cap for most systems and it needs to be no less than a 1/4 smaller, i figured imco had the smallest cap as other manufactures use the wing plate design, question is anyone ever run into this problem and are there any other styles that may clear? I'm still working with Ron on some other options but wanted some outside advise, i do not want to get into any fiberglass work so cutting the platform is out, appreciate any suggestions
Old 11-29-2011, 11:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it something that happens only when you trim up, or where is the interference? It would be fairly easy to open up the trim rams and throw some limiting slugs in them if that's the issue.

Post some pictures of where the problem is going to be.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:50 AM
Registered

Default fixx

ez fixx,,add a imco extension box with the ram wings,you can also go -2 for more seed if you dont have a shorty already..I know its morfe that you want to send but its better then cutting your boat up..

one on ebay but its a -3,you would have to but the wing attachments from imco and mabe a drive spacer kit to lower the drive if your prop slipps to much..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IMCO-setback...s_Gear&vxp=mtr

Last edited by FIXX; 11-30-2011 at 02:04 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tcelano
Is it something that happens only when you trim up, or where is the interference? It would be fairly easy to open up the trim rams and throw some limiting slugs in them if that's the issue.

Post some pictures of where the problem is going to be.
yes the problem is i loose about 4 inches of tilt and cannot lose any because of the angle of my driveway, its these last 4 inches thats the prob, if i turn the drive starboard all the way it clears but thats way to risky

mr fixxall-the x on the rage is pretty high to begin with so a shorty would not be solution, and yeah its def more than i want to get into

Last edited by blownhammer2000; 11-30-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:43 PM
Registered

Default fixx

Originally Posted by blownhammer2000
yes the problem is i loose about 4 inches of tilt and cannot lose any because of the angle of my driveway, its these last 4 inches thats the prob, if i turn the drive starboard all the way it clears but thats way to risky

mr fixxall-the x on the rage is pretty high to begin with so a shorty would not be solution, and yeah its def more than i want to get into
you can get a -0 box also which will put it in its current location..
Old 11-30-2011, 05:50 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
you can get a -0 box also which will put it in its current location..
look into a Mercury ITS system. Nice set up for a single engine. you'll have your external steering and box all in one. I did this to my single engine 28 Advantage Victory and the results were huge. Boat ran bigger and faster.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:41 PM
Registered

well after talking to Ron again i think i'm going to buy an endcap and shave the 1/4 in i need off and see how that works, structureally it should be fine with plenty of material left over, could it be this easy? we will see if not i'm only out 200 bucks instead of a whole lot more, thanks for the input tho guys!
Old 12-01-2011, 11:16 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it is a clearance issue at the end of your driveway when pulling your boat in and out a cheap fix might be to raise your trailer bunks.