Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Water in oil  pls help(long) >

Water in oil pls help(long)

Notices

Water in oil pls help(long)

Old 06-15-2002, 11:09 PM
syringa

Question Water in oil pls help(long)

After 18 hours or perfect running I've got water in my oil. milk milk milk.NEW 502 carb modified to 540 hp. Imco exhaust, Corsa Captain's Call,hp500 intake , holley carb, Mercury oil thermostat(500 hp) large oil cooler 160 thermostat with 1/8 hole drilled. Was using mercruiser 25/40 oil.Lake water up here in BC Canada is Cold .Water temp never got up much past 160, oil temp would take a long time to get past 160. would get to 200 -210 after a hard pull. My DELIMMA>>. Developed a engine miss over 3500 rpm. Changed all ignition components, checked jets, water sep filter etc etc. After lake testing for about the 5th time opened the engine cover and just about puked. Chocolate milk out of the breathers and all over the engine. checked the oil and it was milk.. Did compression test 175 lbs, leak down test, 12-18 %, all gaskets fine. Tested oil cooler fine Removed heads and had them magna fluxed, checked out fine.. My engine builder suggested that maybe the combination of low water/oil temps,25/40 oil, caused so much build up it just puked it out. Reassembled everything flushed out motor. 160 thermostat no holes 10/30 oil . I ran it for about a hour water temp 160-190(up and dowm) oil temp 200,checking the oil every 10 min or so.Everything ok. Opened it up to 4500 for about 5 min,ENGINE MISSES AND ALL THE MILK IS BACK. PLEASE any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you!!!

Syringa

Old 06-16-2002, 12:19 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Did you have silent choice before? If so do you still have the stock flappers in the Y pipe that goes down the back of the motor? I had the same problem with mine when I ran it with the exhaust in the closed mode. MILKY OIL. Found the old flappers had broken off and were down in the bottom of the Y pipe blocking off the water flow and causing the water to back up into the exhaust. I removed the flappers completly and the problem went away?
It is not easy to see the flappers if they have broken off and are in the very bottom- use a bright flashlite.
Old 06-16-2002, 12:39 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tinkerboater, info like that is what makes this board so great. Bet you won't find that in a merc manual anywhere. Sounds logical to me.
Old 06-16-2002, 12:46 AM
syringa

Tinkerboater>> Thanks for the reply and suggestion. Yes the boat had captains call before. Will I ever be PIssED and RELEIVED if that is all it is. Like I said i can run the thing under 3500 and no problem over 3500 a miss and milk. From all the other things I checked the integretity of the motor seems fine.

Thks again this board is THE BEST !!!

syringa

Old 06-16-2002, 01:05 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Let us know if you find the pieces down there. And don't install the new style they wont last very long. Just go without them.
Old 06-16-2002, 02:34 AM
syringa

Well maybe?? just maybe Tinkerboater might of found the problem. Took off the diverters and the port flap is gone. Poked around with a wire and at first i couldn't hear anything then i must of rattled it loose. Took off the exhaust bellows and there was the flapper. Gee it's only 11:30 PM here. If it wasn't dark I would try it right now. I'll let you know

syringa

Old 06-16-2002, 04:19 PM
syringa

Well I guess I just couldn't be that lucky. Everything ran fine opened it up for 3-4 min to 4500 rpm , the miss started and then the milk came. I'm at a loss on this one. Suggestions???

Syringa

Old 06-16-2002, 05:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bad intake gaskets will miss and fill your motor with water.

Just a wag.

Good luck
Old 06-16-2002, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you know which cylinder is / was missing? Check the intake to head area for water getting into the port. Are any of your bolts (intake or head) streached and / or bottoming out preventing the proper seal? Is the intake manifold cracked? Cracked block? I don't know if a system pressure check would show anything.

Do you have Gen 4, 5, or 6 combination? There have been sealing and gasket problems when mix-matching components and gaskets, especially head gaskets!
Old 06-16-2002, 06:18 PM
syringa

The engine is a NEW Gm crate 502. When I took it apart to have the heads magnafluxed I checked all the gaskets and they were fine. Reassembled using high quality gskts. I am convinced the miss is caused by the oil /water/puke/coming out of the breathers and screwing up the fuel mixture. Thks for the replys

syringa

Quick Reply: Water in oil pls help(long)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.