Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
502 rebuild/ upgrade >

502 rebuild/ upgrade

Notices

502 rebuild/ upgrade

Old 12-08-2011, 09:01 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For reference here is the carbed combination I had assembled this year.

- Stainless Marine Manifolds (these were already on the boat)
- Rectangle heads with stock valve size and a valve job (matched to intake NOT ported) with Performer RPM intake and 850 Holley 80330 vacuum secondaries, one jet size down on secondaries
- Converted Gen V 502 Block to roller, honed only not bored -- Bob Madera (RMBuilder) Custom Cam
- Stock JE700 pistons with new rings, stock rods.
- 9.25:1 compression up from 8.75 (.010 off the block and .010 off the heads)
- 1.7:1 Scorpion Roller Rockers

539HP and 569TQ full dress with wet exhaust. Peak power was ~5100

I am sure I left some power on the table -- I specifically told Bob this was a family boat and drive-ability and good idle characteristics were the priority -- he is the man and should be your FIRST phone call, he was EXTREMELY willing to work with me to get the RIGHT combination.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by brivander

- Rectangle heads with stock valve size and a valve job (matched to intake NOT ported) with Performer RPM intake and 850 Holley 80330 vacuum secondaries, one jet size down on secondaries
- Converted Gen V 502 Block to roller, honed only not bored -- Bob Madera (RMBuilder) Custom Cam

I am sure I left some power on the table -- I specifically told Bob this was a family boat and drive-ability and good idle characteristics were the priority -- he is the man and should be your FIRST phone call, he was EXTREMELY willing to work with me to get the RIGHT combination.
Who was able to dyno your engine with wet exhaust?
Old 01-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Banned

Roush.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Roush.
Thanks, my PM was the same question.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:15 AM
Registered

Default Bob M.

I have nothing but good things to say when it comes to Bob. He truely cares about not only his customers but his potential customers as well! I am very close to ordering up my cam, lifters, etc... from him and have talked to him several times as my build has changed direction a couple times. I have decided to have my heads flowed and will be giving him a call shortly after that to have him do a cam for my app. He is extreamly knowledgable, knows what combinations work well together and has always taken the time to listen to me and has also (which imo is just as important) given me his honest opinions as to why one part I might be planing on using may not work as well as another. Personally, I will not go to anyone other then him when it comes to the valvetrain that's going into this motor I'm currently building. I'm sure there will be several other parts such as bearings, rings, etc... that I will take his advise on and more than likely purchess from him as well.