496 HO - fuel pressure adaptor >

496 HO - fuel pressure adaptor

Notices

496 HO - fuel pressure adaptor

Old 07-18-2012, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 HO - fuel pressure adaptor

Searched around for quite some time now and can't seem to really pinpoint the answer I'm looking for. I'll start with what I have, '04 496 HO, and I'm trying to determine the size of the threads that hold on the cap covering the schrader valve? It's a fixed port, as the valve body isn't able to be removed; only the valve guts.

I'm going to be running my fuel pressure sender off of this port (more than likely remove the guts from the valve and run it as a straight port) with a 90 degree elbow and some braided line, for the vibration. I'm aware of the "check and adjust the pressure through a mechanical gauge right from the port" and am doing this just to be able to watch for drastic fluctuations while running. I'm thinking it's 1/8" NPT, but not 100% certain at this point.

Any help, insight, or past experiences are welcome; thanks everyone!
Old 07-19-2012, 11:51 AM
Registered

Actually thinking now that it might be an SAE thread, not a taper thread... The issue is trying to find AN fittings to adapt to NPT gauge threads.

...?....
Old 07-20-2012, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would never recommend running a small high pressure fuel line around in an engine compartment and then up to the helm for a mechanical fuel pressure guage on the dash. There is to much vibration and chance for breakage on this type of fuel line and at 43-45 psi the fuel spraying around with a break or leak could be disasterous on a boat!!

Use an electrical type fuel pressure guage and install the sending unit on a t-fitting installed at the high pressure fuel pump outlet fiting to the fuel rail on the early 2001-2004 496's . You can remove the cover on later Coolfuel II and tap an 1/8" pipe tap opening on top of it at the high pressure port location for a fuel pressure guage sending unit there.

I do not like using the Schraeder fitting for the sending unit as I think this should be keep available for testing and fuel rail cleaning if possible.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 07-20-2012, 10:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Raylar
I would never recommend running a small high pressure fuel line around in an engine compartment and then up to the helm for a mechanical fuel pressure guage on the dash. There is to much vibration and chance for breakage on this type of fuel line and at 43-45 psi the fuel spraying around with a break or leak could be disasterous on a boat!!

Use an electrical type fuel pressure guage and install the sending unit on a t-fitting installed at the high pressure fuel pump outlet fiting to the fuel rail on the early 2001-2004 496's . You can remove the cover on later Coolfuel II and tap an 1/8" pipe tap opening on top of it at the high pressure port location for a fuel pressure guage sending unit there.

I do not like using the Schraeder fitting for the sending unit as I think this should be keep available for testing and fuel rail cleaning if possible.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
+1 Good advice Ray.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Registered

Thanks for the reply Ray! I've read a lot of really interesting posts by you in the past and have gained vast knowledge that I otherwise wouldn't have known.

Sorry that I didn't specify in the original post, but this is an electric sender; not a mechanical. The fuel line I was referring to was only to essentially make is a "soft" mount so it would avoid the vibration of a hard mount. I like the idea of mounting on the fuel pump so I'll check into seeing how much work that kind of setup would be.

Really appreciate the advise, any other thoughts and/or ideas are greatly appreciated!