Stainless Rub Rail >

Stainless Rub Rail

Notices

Stainless Rub Rail

Old 12-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stainless Rub Rail

Im looking at using a 3/4" hollow back stainless rub rail on a project im doing. But Im concerned on bending it. Has anyone used this before on sharp 90 degree bends and if so are there any tricks to bending it?

Thanks Anthony
Old 12-14-2011, 07:11 AM
Registered

No one has ever worked with Stainless Steel here?
Old 12-14-2011, 10:06 AM
Joe
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 30 cig, and it has the stainless rub rail, I just pulled all of it off and had it polished, now i didn't bend it but cigarette did, the piece on the stern has 2 90 degree bends in it for the corners, the bow piece 160 degree bend on it ...so it can be bent.. i will send you pics if you need them....joe
Old 12-14-2011, 10:15 AM
Registered

I know it can be bent and I just dont know how to do it. Im looking for ideas on how to bend it.

Thanks Anthony
Old 12-14-2011, 10:34 AM
Registered

Not sure exactly what the profile you are planning looks like, but I usually see a partial saw cut 1/2-2/3 the way through from the inside to make a corner.

If you get into a tight curve that isn't a corner but too tight for a bend, do multiple cuts. Buy extra and practice on some short pieces.
Old 12-14-2011, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Make a backing block from some hardwood with a radius to match the stainless. For a 90 degree bend over bend the stainless a few degrees to allow for spring back. Use a nylon hammer or even a dead blow hammer to work the stainless around the hardwood form. There should be no cuts as these will weaken the stainless and possibly lead to cracking.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Joe
Platinum Member

I'm do like Ren said with the wood, or even a piece of pipe with the same radis, yes with the nylon hammer or dead blow hammer, dont put cuts in it stainless is hard but its brittle it will crack...I know on the pieces for my boat, where the bends are, they also are more flatened out to make the bend, you may have to do that.....
Old 12-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Some jackwagon stole the nose piece off of our 377 Scarab. Bending the new piece around the bow was a B!TCH and we had to make cuts in it to get it to work. We made cuts about every 1/4" to start the bend, and ever 1/8th inch in the middle of the bend. We had to weld the cuts closed, grind it smooth, and metal finish the final piece to make it look good. It came out nice, but it was a time consuming project.

Looking back I wish we would have done it in two pieces, and welded the damn thing down the seam. It would have been a ton easier.