sbc vortec engine part ID? >

sbc vortec engine part ID?

Notices

sbc vortec engine part ID?

Old 12-13-2011, 08:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default sbc vortec engine part ID?

Thursday going to look at some sbc vortec engines and heads. I have not worked on these since the vortecs came out. anything to help me identify parts or resources to read up on? Or just look up on Wikipedia and print out pictures of the differences?

Yeah, newbie question without much lead time, sorry.

Brian
Old 12-13-2011, 09:01 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The blocks will be one piece rear main seal, Inside the lifter valley there's holes for the "spider" that holds the lifter locaters in place to mount to. Early one piece blocks don't have this provision. Later model Vortec blocks will have a fuel pump boss, early ones won't. There's 2 bolt and 4 bolt blocks. The heads will have casting numbers 062 for marine and aftermarket engines, and 906 for truck engines. Both heads are good. If the engine's are complete it's easy to tell 'cause the intake's missing 4 bolts. That's just off the top of my head, I'm sure you can find some good images on the net. Good luck.

Last edited by HaxbySpeed; 12-13-2011 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by befu
Thursday going to look at some sbc vortec engines and heads. I have not worked on these since the vortecs came out. anything to help me identify parts or resources to read up on? Or just look up on Wikipedia and print out pictures of the differences?

Yeah, newbie question without much lead time, sorry.

Brian
Brian...try to find someone that knows what they are looking at to go with you. I'm an old school small block guy...hell my first car was a '56 Chevy that I built a 327 for...and it's a learning curve for me also.

I know that Vortec engines hit the mass market in trucks in '96...earlier in 'vettes and Camaros.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:34 AM
Registered

Is there much of a benefit to going to Vortec short blocks over the 86 - 350's I have now?

Not sure if the pistons are different or not.

I am not building a hot rod, still just a small family boat for day use. Guess the guy has at least one complete Vortec long block, so I would still have to find one other one to keep both engines the same, starting to sound like it is a growing project!

Haven't pulled engines yet to see what I have in the boat, but the start right up and sound good, just low compression on some cylinders and no change on the wet test so that would seem to indicate valves.

Taking the mechanic with me, but not sure what he knows about vortecs. He is a professional mechanic, mostly diesel equimpment I think, not a hot rod gear head other than older Ford stuff. Great at wrenching on stuff though.

Brian
Old 12-14-2011, 07:22 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Brian,
The main difference between a true Vortec engine and the older small blocks is the heads and the fuel injection system. Otherwise they are not much different than any other 1986-1995 350 roller engine. The cam might be different but I really dont think so. The heads are what really makes the power difference. They have a plastic front cover. If you go with Vortec heads you will have to get intakes that match because the bolt pattern is totally different.

Your 86 engines are most likely not roller cams, the Vortec engines will be. More reliability more than anything.

Not sure what you are planning to spend, but personaly I would not waste my money on anything used. The heads are prone to cracking if run hot so you might end up replacing at least one anyway. I think you will be way ahead of the game money wise to just buy a pair of new or nicely built remans.

Just my opinion,

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 12-15-2011, 02:51 PM
Registered

Arghh, I think i am going to just freshen up the stock 260's and enjoy the boat.

So this guy is selling a bunch of stuff. Says he has 2 sets of Vortec heads, 2 sets of standard heads, and a Vortec Long block.

What he has is two sets of old 350 heads, one vortec head (just one, not a pair) and a short block vortec (no heads) that was a crate motor. Really, you can't even list what you actually have?

This boat just isn't worth it, think I will just freshen them up, enjoy it and buy a bigger boat in a few years.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by befu
Arghh, I think i am going to just freshen up the stock 260's and enjoy the boat.
Brian,

Before you pull the engines out of the boat, do a leakdown test on the cylinders that were low on compression. That will tell you if it is the valves or not.

If it is definitely some valves leaking, I would just pull the heads right in the boat, have them freshened up, and put them back on. I have seen way to many of those engines that guys thought they were going to "freshen up" and ended up wishing they had never touched them If they have any amount of hours on them the blocks will almost certainly need to be bored.

I will tell you one thing for sure, the heads in those years are almost always corroded too badly in the one water passage that sits right up against the gasket sealing surface. The way the passage is made, resurfacing the head actually makes the situation worse. If the engine is raw water cooled, dont be a bit surprised if you have to buy 4 heads

Just warning you ahead of time so you will be prepared. Might be way ahead of the game with a couple of Mercruiser remans with a warranty.

Just my opinion,

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 12-22-2011, 11:02 AM
Registered

Thank you Bill for the recommendation. Ended up pulling the heads off of one motor, glad I did. Blocks look great and I think they are newer motors, posted information in the formula section under my 272 thread.

Thank you all who helped out with info, appreciated.

Brian

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/f...86-272-ls.html