Labbing a Ballistic >

Labbing a Ballistic

Notices

Labbing a Ballistic

Old 12-20-2011, 07:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Labbing a Ballistic

Anyone have any knowledge/experiences with labbing a Michigan Wheel Ballistic propeller? Thinking about trying it, but looking at it compared to the Raker I have, I'm not sure I'll actually see much difference.

I did talk to BBlades and they do it, but said the results may be minimal.

Any real world results anyone can share?

I am going to run a 22" Raker to start with next year and was thinking about buying a 23" Ballistic and having it labbed. Not going to do anyting until spring and see where I am at with the 22" Raker, but I've had good luck with the Ballistic in the past....

And before anyone else recommends a "better" prop, I've still got the OMC drive on the back...options are limited.

Last edited by brivander; 12-20-2011 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 05:24 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by brivander
Anyone have any knowledge/experiences with labbing a Michigan Wheel Ballistic propeller? Thinking about trying it, but looking at it compared to the Raker I have, I'm not sure I'll actually see much difference.

I am going to run a 22" Raker to start with next year and was thinking about buying a 23" Ballistic and having it labbed. Not going to do anyting until spring and see where I am at with the 22" Raker, but I've had good luck with the Ballistic in the past....

And before anyone else recommends a "better" prop, I've still got the OMC drive on the back...options are limited.
Why are options limited. Merc makes adapter hubs.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Stiletto props work pretty good on OMCs. I believe Overtons still sells them.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:06 AM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

Anyone have any knowledge/experiences with labbing a Michigan Wheel Ballistic propeller?

Have you seen how thin Ballistic Props are already? I would not try to manipulate or thin them down any further.

They are kind of a specialized prop and when they work they work real good.

When I worked at Attwood Marine after they sold Ballistic to Michigan Wheel, there was a room of Ballistic props where I could buy left over Attwood inventory for $25/prop. I should have bought them all.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
Why are options limited. Merc makes adapter hubs.
I've been told I have to much power for adapter hubs...I don't have any history with them however, so any information in the real world would be appreciated. I also most likely have to much power for the rubber hub as well but it seems a lot of people still run them. I'm going to give one a try before I have BBlades make me one.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:36 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rookie
Have you seen how thin Ballistic Props are already? I would not try to manipulate or thin them down any further.
Yes, I have, that's why I am asking, when the boat was stock the 21 Ballistic was the best prop I tried...and that's what I'm thinking, just didn't know if anyone had tried it.
Old 12-21-2011, 04:02 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been told I have to much power for adapter hubs...I don't have any history with them however, so any information in the real world would be appreciated. I also most likely have to much power for the rubber hub as well but it seems a lot of people still run them. I'm going to give one a try before I have BBlades make me one.
Now you mention it, didn't you have a thread about it some time ago? But yes, the rubber hubs are only good for 400hp. Do you mean that Bblades will make you a solid hub to fit your drive if needed?
Old 12-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
Now you mention it, didn't you have a thread about it some time ago? But yes, the rubber hubs are only good for 400hp. Do you mean that Bblades will make you a solid hub to fit your drive if needed?
Exactly right, or they have something to accommodate me, we didn't discuss in detail...they didn't seem like a solid hub was a big deal at all.

I'd say I have both of those options overpowered, but I want to get pretty close to where I need to be, I contacted BBlades and they suggested getting something close then calling them in the spring. The trouble I have is I doubt anyone is going to loan me their high dollar prop to test, AND the fact that it's OMC makes that even more difficult. I need something that I won't over rev to get a baseline and may even stick it out until it fails if it works OK, use it while I work with BBlades to get a custom one, have it labbed if I need more RPM or find one already labbed on ebay, since I've seen two, but looking at the prop I'm not sure how good an idea that really is...

Everyone recommends over 400 no rubber hub, but this boat came with over 400 stock and a rubber hub prop stock (which doesn't make it a good idea).

Personally, I blame this all on Bob Madera for making to much horsepower with his recommended set-up and cam I mean it's horrible, he blew my horsepower goal out of the water, how dare him!!!

Last edited by brivander; 12-21-2011 at 07:43 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:39 PM
Banned

Well the guy dropped his price on ebay for this prop and I couldn't pass it up, I should have no problem recovering my cost next summer if it doesn't work out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIchigan-Pro...#ht_500wt_1336

I'm hoping the 1/4 diameter smaller and the thinner blades of the Ballistic compared to my 22" Raker with keep the R's just slightly lower, we will see. At least I am now armed to tune this thing as soon as the ice clears this spring!

My slip should go up slightly and the blades have to be more efficient than a Raker...only spring will tell.

Last edited by brivander; 12-23-2011 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

I would not have passed it up at the price either. I don't know if you do, but if you have over 400HP I would not pull a skier or tuber using that prop if modified maybe not even stock.

The prop should work good for you. I let an acquaintance borrow my Ballistic 23" or 25". I did not see him over the winter and when I asked about it the next summer he said he sold it on ebay and thought I gave to him.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.