how do  I set my engine mounts >

how do I set my engine mounts

Notices

how do I set my engine mounts

Old 12-26-2011, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do I set my engine mounts

I am putting my first boat together after I set my Transom assembly for the Bravo 1 is there a way to figure out what height my engine will be at with out trying to set it in there and then pulling the engine out again? The stringers needend to be re done
Old 12-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Registered

I am not sure on this one in a new setup but, didn't you take measurements after you removed the engine but, before you started cutting the old stringers up? You could have refrenced measurements off the inner transom plate, boat bottom, forward bulkhead, boat sides......Hopefully you havent started cutting yet
Old 12-27-2011, 09:42 AM
Registered

Yes and No, the boat was set up as an inboard and I changeded it to a Bravo and I know Im pretty close. I was hopeing that someone would say that the mounts would need to be level with transom assembly or something like that.
Old 12-27-2011, 10:13 AM
Registered

depending on the boat, setting the engine in with loose mounts nay be the best option for you. Hang it and adjust slow till the alignment tool fits nice then mark the loc's. Till someone else chimes in that's the best I can offer. I am not sure if the dimensions are in the paperwork from merc when you buy a setup. Hopefully someone will chime in but, it will be a slow week here i'm thinking
Old 12-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

Merc actually makes a jig that sits on the new inner transom assy. and locates the new engine mounts and height for you without putting the engine in and then taking it out again. Maybe you can borrow one ?

(now for the boring 'me too' story)

When I repowered my Donzi with a Volvo package after a new transom and stringer work the engine supplier lowered the engine in temporarily like mentioned above. After a bit of jiggling and wiggling we put the alignment tool in and got a nice alignment. The engine mounts were already in place on the motor adjusted to the 'middle location' and I located and marked the mounts on the stringers . Everything came back out (it was on a hoist truck) and I did all the drilling and bolting up of the motor mounts / beds. I thought it was all pretty bush and would never work as you have to not only get the height right , there's also the front/rear location that has to be spot on .
Well , I'll be damned , when we put the motor back in later everything was spot on and the alignment was unchanged from ''perfect''.

Last edited by madbouyz; 12-27-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:51 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

If you cant get your hands on a jig, you can use an old block and crank. Bolt up your flywheel, coupler and bellhousing and drop it in. Its much easier than dealing with a complete engine. Thats the way i have always done it.
Eddie