GPS Antenna question

Notices

GPS Antenna question

Old 01-05-2012, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GPS Antenna question

Hey Guys!

I was lucky enough to get a new Raymarine A50 chartplotter for Christmas, my old Plotter was an ancient Garmin GPS 210. I was wondering if the external GPS antenna from the Garmin unit would work with the new plotter?

Any input appreciated!

Michael
Old 01-05-2012, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by n20michael
Hey Guys!

I was lucky enough to get a new Raymarine A50 chartplotter for Christmas, my old Plotter was an ancient Garmin GPS 210. I was wondering if the external GPS antenna from the Garmin unit would work with the new plotter?

Any input appreciated!

Michael
Look in your owners manual and see if it can read the older NMEA data. Chances are it needs NMEA 2000, which would require a new antenna. I'm using a garmin antenna on my Raymarine!
Old 01-06-2012, 11:07 AM
Registered

This is about all I can find out from the owners manual, unless I am looking at the wrong section? Any idea where to look?

The Antenna on my Garmin unit has a different connection if that matters? It uses a "spear" connector in the middle [looks like an old CB radio antenna connection] and the threads tighten down around it. Could I just cut the end off and wire the antenna to the NMEA wires on my new plotter?

Any help would be REALLY appreciated! I would love to use the existing Antenna since its already mounted and running new wires through the headliner in the cabin will be a giant PITA! The boat is in storage at my cottage [2 hours away] so I cant get any part numbers or check anything, kind of over a barrel and wondered if anyone could help?

Thanks Endevour!

See Below:

NMEA 0183 Interface

2 Input and Output ports

NMEA 0183 Input Messages

GLL, GGA, GLC, GTD, VTG, BWC, BWR, RMA, RMB, RMC, XTE, VHW, HDG, HDM, HDT, DBT, DPT, APB, VLW, MWV, WPL, RTE, DSC and ZDA. Selectable to 4800, 4800 Navtex, 9600 Navtex or 38,400 AIS

NMEA 0183 Output Messages - User selectable

APB, BWC, BWR, DBT, DPT, GGA, GLL, MTW, RMA,
Old 01-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We use a Raymarine A50 for racing over here in the UK and find that its internal antenna works fine without the need for an external one
Old 01-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 939 Likes on 471 Posts

What kind of connection does the Garmin have for the antenna? If you have an old school antenna with what you say is the CB radio connector and the Garmin has a small connector you can get the adapter form Radio Shack for about $7 you probably need the BNC to PL-259 Adapter
heres what it would look like below.
If you have a plug on the Garmin with more then one terminal on it then you need a new antenna...as i believe the GPS antenna uses 3 wires in that case to work right.
Attached Thumbnails GPS Antenna question-bnc-pl-259-adapter.jpg  

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 01-12-2012, 07:33 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Garmin antenna that you described sounds like the GA29 "passive" style which will not work with the Raymarine A50 which requires the "active" style raystar125 antenna if so needed, keep in mind with the advancments in technology 90% of the time the "built in" antenna will do the job just fine. Hope this helps !
Old 01-12-2012, 08:16 PM
Registered

Hey Guys!

THANKS! For all the info, I really appreciate all the help!

I finally heard from Garmin, my existing Antenna is a "Passive" style, so, it wont work :-(

I have heard GREAT things about the Internal antenna, but, the previous owner had already mounted the external antenna, and I figured if its already there I could use it, guess I will be shopping for a new antenna!

Thanks again guys, I am always impressed by how helpfull members of this board are!

Michael