Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Delco Voyager EST igniton >

Delco Voyager EST igniton

Notices

Delco Voyager EST igniton

Old 01-15-2012, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

This distributor would be good for something that has a bigger cam. On my engine I use the Crane Hi-6M boxes with 20 degrees of total advance. My ignition starts at 15 and is done at 35. On a bone stock engine you would not want this advance curve, on a modified engine you do! It all depends on what you have.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I totally agree with you. A bigger cam or maybe even a blower.

I somewhat regret I got them for the reason I did; replacements for older points system. I'm replacing quite some long blocks for customers and advise them to go for Vortecs where applicable. Since Volvo for example was very late with electronic ignition I saw this opportunity for upgrade but it doesn't look that good anymore. Still I can't see how Marine Power, Barr and others actually get good results from using them with standard 350 Vortecs.

I guess the best way to use those systems is to build a couple of wilder motors that will benefit from that flat curve.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I disagree, why would you not want a decent amount of advance right off idle ?? most every engine now uses lots of advance quick to aid in power & fuel economy...they used these dist for years and still do in stock marine engines from V6-454...came OEM from crusader, merc and others....work great in my gibson that spends most all of it's life @ 3200-3500..
Old 01-16-2012, 10:00 AM
Registered

ezstriper, to my knowledge Merc never used those systems as stand-alone.
They used them with the MEFI ecm's and the built in advance is only used up to 300 rpm before taken over by the ECM.

Otoh, as you say Volvo, Crusader DO use them but problem has been to find actual data.
However yesterday I finally found some advance curve data and recommended settings for VP motors, I will put it up here later today.
Old 01-16-2012, 03:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

merc used them in the early 90's without a ECM worked on one not to long ago..
Old 01-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Registered

Any chance you remember what motor that was? I'm surprised 'cause I have never seen that combo and I have been working on Mercs for some time.
(I'm actually sitting with the parts catalog at hand and couldn't find it there either).

Anyhow, here is the timing data from VP, hope it helps someone.
Attached Thumbnails Delco Voyager EST igniton-est_setting.gif  
Old 09-16-2015, 01:33 PM
Registered

when you lost spark above 3,000 rpm, what did it do, ours sounds like an old set of points breaking up, the carb huffs out unburned fuel vapors almost looks like a smoke ring, and it does it exactly at 3100 RPM, up to that point it runs great, and will run perfect when cold for the first 5 minutes.

this came on a new engine from Mercury, who could i get in touch with to get a new distributor, as i am thinking this should be under warranty.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:07 PM
Registered

Default Delco EST Timing

I have found these Delco EST units to be simple and very trouble free. I time my Mercruiser 350 Mags at full advance with a digital advance timing light. Don't worry about using the timing jumper... Full advance on these things comes in at about 2600-3000 RPM. so simply set your light to 30 deg, Run the engine up to 3000 and set the timing mark at zero. That's it! You then don't have to worry that max advance is too high or not high enough. One other tip about EST... If you need shift interrupt You must not short the wire to ground. Instead the long wire on the timing jumper adapter must receive 12v through the interrupt switch. This requires rewiring the switch using a 12v supply. Don't forget to cut the timing jumper loop or timing will be locked and won't advance.
Old 06-19-2017, 12:34 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,008 Likes on 1,341 Posts

advance chart, if any of this applies
Attached Thumbnails Delco Voyager EST igniton-310757d1195626317-mercruiser-ignition-module-question-ign-curves-2-.jpg  
Old 06-19-2017, 01:35 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Old thread, but they are also cheap and easy to find. Junkyard, ebay, car-part.com...dist. and coil can be had for 20 bucks. Add a 50 buck new marine module-which is really a pass car module with a Lil more advance built into limp mode...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.