Fuel Tank Leak >

Fuel Tank Leak

Notices

Fuel Tank Leak

Old 01-30-2012, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Tank Leak

I have a fuel leak in my port side fuel tank.The boat is a Laveycraft 27 Sabre cat.The problem is the tank is foamed in on the port tunnel.Like most west coast boats they install the tanks,Then they install a fiberglass interliner and cap the hull.Soooooo getting the tank out means cutting up the inside of the boat to get the tank out.Has anyone been through is ? I was hoping there might be some kind of coating that can be applied inside the tank.I think I know what the answer is GET THE SAW OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any ifo would be great.
Old 01-31-2012, 04:55 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, just went through this last winter on my 92 Checkmate and it sucks. Noticed it leaking in December. I had to first siphon all the fuel out in freezing weather with an electric pump and disgard it, rip out the seat pedastals and tear out the carpet before I took it my marina. They then cut out the floor and took out the foamed in tank which was ate up with corrosion. There was no fixing it, it was trash. Then I needed to find a company making custom tanks to get one that fit in the same spot. I re-carpeted and replaced the seat pedastals myself after the marina foamed in the new tank and made a new floor.

Custom 50 gal tank -> $900
Marina labor to replace-> $1800
Fuel sending unit -> $200
Carpet -> $200

Last edited by NightHawk; 01-31-2012 at 04:59 AM.
Old 01-31-2012, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes,My seat pedastals are part of the fiberglass interliner.The complete interior is a interliner from a mold.I can get to the top of the tank,But that will not help.Talked with the boys from Lavey and all we can try is to cut the back part out around the back of the tank in the engine bay.That part is resin coated wood.The cap off tank and apply 4lbs air pressure and if we are lucky we might here the leak.If the leak is in the back we might be able to weld it in the boat.That would be tricky.I don't want to spend 10k on this boat right now....................