Ignition Box Issues and ?????s >

Ignition Box Issues and ?????s

Notices

Ignition Box Issues and ?????s

Old 02-07-2012, 01:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther
Because switching over to a new system with box and distributor for 2 engines would cost 4-5 times as much as replacing a box every year or three. If I was starting over fresh I would use something different. It's always easier to spend other peoples money than your own.

You seem like a knowledgeable man, what do you use?
on the boat i used the factory gm stuff. it was well thought out. i never had a failure and it is more than adequate. on the cars it depended on the application. invariably it was generally a crank trigger system driving an ECU and a amplifier from any one of a dozen companies building engine management systems. some were better than others. the ones that used anything made by MSD were the least reliable and least effective and after recognizing that, simply stopped using any system that did. in my experience the stuff is scrap right out of the box.

as for the money aspect, i would suggest that i make an effort NOT to spend my own money buying the same bad parts over and over again just because it's convenient. what is that saying ? the definition of stupidity is doing the same thing wrong over and over but expecting a different result each time ...
Old 02-07-2012, 01:03 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
as for the money aspect, i would suggest that i make an effort NOT to spend my own money buying the same bad parts over and over again just because it's convenient. what is that saying ? the definition of stupidity is doing the same thing wrong over and over but expecting a different result each time ...
Some assumptions on your part and I'm glad you think I'm stupid. The topic of the thread was ignition box issues and questions. I don't recommend MSD and have stated why. I've also helped other members on this site for the past 10 years with technical information being a boat mechanic once before.

What makes sense for one person doesn't always make sense for others. I have what I have and in the scope of things it was not cost effective to replace the complete ignition system vs. keeping a spare onboard.

As time goes on and if boxes continue to fail, that will change. However, for now it is what it is.

I inherited the system when I bought the boat and if I was starting from scratch I would have used a TB IV or Crane HI-6.

Next,

Last edited by Panther; 02-07-2012 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I inherited the system when I bought the boat and if I was starting from scratch I would have used a TB IV or Crane HI-6.

Panther,
We have also had excellent success with the Mercury TB IV and the Crane Hi-6. I do think it likely helps if rubber isolation mounts are used with all the marine ignitions.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Man, I wished it was a perfect world. I guess some of us were born with perfect insight.....and some of us are still learning thru trial & error-----we may have to go around the mountian a few times before we "get it right". I suppose I fall in the later crowd and have been known to have to do that a time or two myself.
Old 02-12-2012, 08:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Mariah212Z
Just curious, how long have you had the Fireball boxes. I have had mine since 05 with no problems.
THX
I was running my boxes for 8-9 yrs. I was told the life of these boxes is around 10 yrs. . So I got close. The problem is when they go they go, no fixing them on the water. Good luck
Old 02-12-2012, 09:02 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the replies and help. Always appreciated
Old 02-12-2012, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SB
Who's 'we' ? You now have a dyno and build engines with other people or are you talking about another business that uses one you sold them on their dyno + car(s)?
Old 03-25-2012, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by MER Performance
The Daytona Sensor Box is excellent! You can Map your own Curve, set rev limiter, also dial in advance curves that are preset, they will work with a mag trigger...
Mark, so then---will the Daytona Sensor Marine ignition system work with the MSD magnetic crank trigger system? Thanx