Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Nova III steering problem. >

Nova III steering problem.

Notices

Nova III steering problem.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=sprink58;'m an "old school" Chevy Drag Racer and used to get 327's and 350's to respond well to head and cam changes...back when Dart or "186/041 Double humps" were the "head". These new Vortec heads bone stock flow more and are bigger torque producers than the old heads were on their best day.

I can't wait to get mine back in the water so I can get a solid comparison before and after...stay tuned.[/QUOTE]

tell me about these heads. what motors were they found on; part number?
Old 02-07-2012, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
pull the back seat. pull cams and pull forward until they hit wall behind seat. make a mark. whip out ye olde hole saw. only need about a 2 to 3 inch hole. screw a plate over it when done.
Very clever! Wonder if I would have to pull the frame for the back seat, cause that is a pain....the side panels have to come off, and I just had the cockpit reupholstered! Maybe the hole will line up with the speaker holes, so I can just pull a two speakers!

Personally, just look into the edelbrock heads. They will out flow the vortecs and are lighter, and the cost is very affordable.
Old 02-07-2012, 05:15 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

is your seat straight, or wrap-around on the sides. 3 little alum L-brackets behind top of seat back. if wrap around, reach into side hole. you will probably feel a screw head into wood of seat. could you post interior pics? my rear seat bottom dissolved. rear seat box is dissolving. the seat back floated away with a high tide. front seats are shot. side panels are best part of interior and they are no good either. i am in the middle of learning to do upholstery work. need ideas for interior. boat came with Dart sportsman heads, so that is what's going on this summer.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My seat is straight bench. I don't have any pics of the interior, but I could get you some. If you shoot me your email I can send them, I guess you cant post pics unless you are a paying member.

I had all the seats and sundeck professionally done. I did the side panels, and bech seat frame myself to save money.

Good thing about living in az is dont have to worry about rot, there is no dang moisture out here! All the wood is original and not one sign of water damage!
Old 02-08-2012, 07:06 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dereknkathy
tell me about these heads. what motors were they found on; part number?
Here is a link that you will find useful.

http://www.castheads.com/factory_chevy_vortec.php

Scoggin Dickey is the source on the right Vortec heads. Here is a link to how to build a strong Vortec 355 running pump gas making 400+ horsepower and torque.

http://www.popularhotrodding.com/eng...c/viewall.html

I used different cams in mine...Comp XM 264HR-12 with Lift at .488/.495 int/exh...Duration 264/270 w/112 deg Lobe Separation

I am also using 1.5 Comp Needle Bearing Roller Rockers that aren't quite as aggressive as those in the article.

My engines didn't make the power or torque that the engine in the article did but made peak torque of 435 at 3100 RPM which means mine get it quicker and the curve is flatter. I get 365 horse at 5000 RPM and hold 400+ ft lbs from 1800 RPM to over 4000 RPM. These numbers are running through marine exhaust manifolds.

In summary...a .030 over 355 Vortec with a decent cam gives you a lot of bang for the buck....and whips a 454 with standard heads like a dog.

Last edited by sprink58; 02-08-2012 at 08:48 PM.