Technical opinion on Procharging my 01' Baja H2X >

Technical opinion on Procharging my 01' Baja H2X

Notices

Technical opinion on Procharging my 01' Baja H2X

Old 02-08-2012, 08:28 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by bikercrze1
I looked the Full throttle web page and the Whipple setup looks alot nicer then the procharger. They have kits for 02-05' so I hope I can make it work on my 01' I am gonna give bob a call today I will post the info when I get it.
Good move on going with the Whipple kit.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:23 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well after talking to Shooter last night I think it would be smarter to wait until my 11 year old motor gives up it's ghost and then swap it out for a 502. Too much red tape around superchargers in boats then add the destroyed resale value it just isn't worth it. Thanks for the info Shooter I will contact you again when it comes time for a new Bullit!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:52 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to throw in my 2 cents. There is no "bolt on" and go kit. Like Eddie mentioned there are a lot of things that need to be addressed to be reliable. The 6.2 does not have forged pistons. They will eventually fail. The procharger fuel management system is crude at best. You need to set it up with a 2 bar map sensor and reprogram the ecm to get the tune correct. I've done prochargers and whipples both on 6.2L but we always went through engines and upgraded pistons, added oil cooler and upgraded the fuel system. If you do it right you can get a dependable 500 HP or more if you upgrade the heads. We've done several with the Edelbrock Etec heads and they really work well. Around 565 HP with 6 psi boost.

Bob Lloyd
Full Throttle Marine
Old 02-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with the above on fuel systems, Aeromotive makes some nice stuff, you may want to look them up. I have a freind with a pro charged 454mpi CAST 330hp engine, running strong no issues.

For those questioning the internals of the 6.2 ls based engine read this and get back to me http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...g_bang_theory/

Do your research for fuel, and be a pioneer! I would love to see the results. I don't think anyone has enough experience to be commenting on blown stock small blocks in boat. Sometimes guinea pigs end up being geniuses
Old 02-08-2012, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
I agree with the above on fuel systems, Aeromotive makes some nice stuff, you may want to look them up. I have a freind with a pro charged 454mpi CAST 330hp engine, running strong no issues.

For those questioning the internals of the 6.2 ls based engine read this and get back to me http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/h...g_bang_theory/

Do your research for fuel, and be a pioneer! I would love to see the results. I don't think anyone has enough experience to be commenting on blown stock small blocks in boat. Sometimes guinea pigs end up being geniuses
The Merc 6.2L MPI that came out in 2000/2001 to replace the 7.4L MPI is not an LS-based motor. It is the same 350 Chevy long-block supplied to Merc from GM that Merc stroked to 377 cu. in. Mercury does not use forged pistons in the 6.2L MPI. Bob has experience with adding supercharges to small-blocks in boats so he absoutely is one to comment on the subject.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
The Merc 6.2L MPI that came out in 2000/2001 to replace the 7.4L MPI is not an LS-based motor. It is the same 350 Chevy long-block supplied to Merc from GM that Merc stroked to 377 cu. in. Mercury does not use forged pistons in the 6.2L MPI. Bob has experience with adding supercharges to small-blocks in boats so he absoutely is one to comment on the subject.
I'm sorry, my bad for sure. Thought it was in the 4.8/5.3/6.0/6.2 ls series.

I was calling any one person out, as much as I was calling everyone out. This site has a lot of knowledge, but it also has a ton of "you can't do that" sometimes without reason.

I still think he should go for it
Old 02-08-2012, 08:33 PM
Registered

Interesting stuff, Bob I got your message I will give you a call back tomorrow to discuss this further.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
AMEN!!!

They recommended not changing the fuel system???? You are going to increase the power by approx. 50% and nothing needs to be done with the fuel system? What does the pickup in the fuel tank look like? How big is it? What about the fuel lines? The filter head with it's 1/4" npt fittings. Does it have an anti-siphon valve?
All of these items were installed with the stock 350 hp engine. That's what they are designed to support....not 450 hp. These things may be fine, but more than likely some or all need to be addressed. I can almost guarantee that the pickup in the tank is a plastic pickup tube with a VERY small hole. Then the adapter fitting that screws into the top of the pickup blocks off half of the hole, making it even smaller.
You are going to have a much higher fuel pressure with the Procharger. You are going to need to be able to move enough volume of fuel to supply that amount of increased pressure.
What I'm trying to say is that I have done a lot of Procharger setups and have seen tons of them come in that are in boxes because none of the items I mentioned were addressed. Make sure that you do it once, and do it right. If you can't afford to do it right, then wait until you can afford it. It will cost a little more to do it right, but it will save you a ton of money and heartache in the end.
As mentioned previously, there is NO such thing as a bolt on supercharger kit. If they told you up front about everything else that needed to be done, they would sell a whole lot less kits.
Don't hesitate to contact me if you have any questions. I would be glad to help you out the best I can with advice, etc. Find someone that you are comfortable with. Do some research on that person to be sure he does good work. Good luck.
Eddie
Our kit can be bolted to the 2001, very easy to do. Just some minor changes to the 2002 kit. If its a true 2001, then it has a MEFI3 PCM instead of the PCM555 so we've done plenty of those.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by paul buckner
Hi Razor i have twin 496ho in my boat ,how can i tell if i have the B1x or just the B1 Thanks in advance .
If your boat was originally delivered with the HOs, they should most certainly be B1X, should say on the stickers as well. It's been quite a while since I've taken a B1X apart next to a B1, so I won't take the chance and give you a wrong answer. Shoot Mr. Gadgets here on OSO a pm, he's the big B1 drive guru. I'm sure he will gladly answer all your B1X questions.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-09-2012, 04:52 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by A.O. Razor
If your boat was originally delivered with the HOs, they should most certainly be B1X, should say on the stickers as well. It's been quite a while since I've taken a B1X apart next to a B1, so I won't take the chance and give you a wrong answer. Shoot Mr. Gadgets here on OSO a pm, he's the big B1 drive guru. I'm sure he will gladly answer all your B1X questions.

Hope this helps.
Funny you should say that , Mr G has one of my drives at the moment , he has allready had one now he is doing the other / machine for a steel collar ,renforced top cap and set up the gears .i never bought the boat new only had it 2 years but i am sure they are stock B1 and they came new with the boat with the 496ho 2001 pantera ,even thow i live in the UK i found MR G to be the man for for building the B1 very good and reliable.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.