Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Ray
Old 05-18-2012, 09:44 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SippyRat
lol here i go "over thinkin it" again!!

i ran my boat and hurricanes on the muffs for the first time today and i noticed a couple things. i seemed to have more water coming out of the starboard side than the port side. i would say about twice as much. also my #1 cylinder pipe was really hot and every other pipe was cool. the starboard side was also cooler than the port side. Do i have an issue here? do i need to restrict the starboard side?

i think i remember reading somewhere about a cmi modification that restricts the crossover hole on the starboard side tailpipe. is this necessary on the hurricanes? here is a link to a short video and you can see the difference in water coming out of the exhaust. sorry for the poor quality.

i know it could be the fresh water pump so i will change that but you would think it would effect the flow all around. the main question is, why is my #1 cylinder pipe too hot to touch?

I figured I owe you all a final update on my header swap.

I ended up replacing my impeller and housing which I didn't need to do because the one I took out looked great. And then I realized that I forgot to use the low water block off when I ran it on the muffs which I'm sure was part of the problem. This is my first XR and I'm not used to having to do that. Oh well live and learn. I finally ran the boat in the water last weekend and everything went great! The first thing I noticed dock side was that both pipes had excellent water flowing out. My temps were good, no leaks anywhere and after a long run I could hold my hand on every tube for as long as I wanted to. All of the tubes felt to be the same temp.
Even though everything didnt go as smoothly as it could have I am happy with the results. So it's all done now and time to enjoy the summer! Thanks again to all who helped me along the way
Old 05-18-2012, 12:38 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SippyRat
I figured I owe you all a final update on my header swap.

I ended up replacing my impeller and housing which I didn't need to do because the one I took out looked great. And then I realized that I forgot to use the low water block off when I ran it on the muffs which I'm sure was part of the problem. This is my first XR and I'm not used to having to do that. Oh well live and learn. I finally ran the boat in the water last weekend and everything went great! The first thing I noticed dock side was that both pipes had excellent water flowing out. My temps were good, no leaks anywhere and after a long run I could hold my hand on every tube for as long as I wanted to. All of the tubes felt to be the same temp.
Even though everything didnt go as smoothly as it could have I am happy with the results. So it's all done now and time to enjoy the summer! Thanks again to all who helped me along the way
"all there is to it,is to do it"
Old 06-11-2012, 06:28 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Anybody try the Stainless Marine system yet?

http://www.stainlessmarine.com/index...emart&Itemid=3

I wonder if that price includes the risers? Their website is kind of hokie. I tried to send a request for info and got an error.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

I went to Hurricane in lake Elsinore to check out their headers. Yes they do make them exclusively for hardin. They are made by absolute craftsman ! However they are a old school header. There is a weld at every change of direction, The quality is unsurpassed but it is still old school. The CMI is bent with the inner tube and outer tube in place so no welds other that at the collector and the header plate that bolts to the head. My 2 gen X sets will be about $2500.00 in fitment issues to install for 2 sets. I still think its a better system.
Old 07-08-2013, 08:08 AM
Registered

So what is the best header for the 525 EFI looking to replace some gen 1 CMI headers?