525 header issues? >

525 header issues?

Notices

525 header issues?

Old 02-11-2012, 12:08 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by SippyRat
thanks a lot! do you happen to know what year this was printed?

this backs up my guess in my last post. they are basically saying "we don't recommend it, it will void warranty but if you do decide to do it this is how it should be done"
It doesn't say it will void the warranty, it says don't use it over 2,500 RPMs. It's great for idling around yacht clubs and such. The 525 doesn't use the same Y pipe as the 496 etc. It's more of a "Z" pipe that mixes the water further downstream. I had to pay about $1,000 each for mine when I swapped out the 496 for the 525.

Last edited by thirdchildhood; 02-11-2012 at 12:11 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

If you carefully read the caution statement above this "silent choice" you can understand that Mercury does not sell or install these systems on their engines as delivered. This is done by the boat builder and hence the warranty can be voided by Merc quite easily if a problem occurs from water instrusion that "Mercury" deems as being caused by that usage.

What you should probably draw from this information is that using switchable thru the hub exhaust systems on high performance racing engines is "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK".

JMO

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 02-11-2012, 12:46 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SippyRat
thanks a lot! do you happen to know what year this was printed?

this backs up my guess in my last post. they are basically saying "we don't recommend it, it will void warranty but if you do decide to do it this is how it should be done"
That page came from my 2005 353 installation manual, but the same paragraph exists in my Service Manual which is new and covers all the 525's. I disagree that it would void the warranty. Corsa, CMI and the boat manufacturers don't operate in a vacuum. Testing had to been done on these configurations otherwise Formula or whoever would be on the hook for a faulty installation and I don't see them taking on that liability.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

It does not void the warranty. Ray, Mercury Racing does not install engines afaik.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After rebuilding my 525's I was so concerned about the header problems I sold the boat before they had a chance of ruining my engines.

Maybe too drastic of move.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:55 PM
Registered

Well I see it like this. Mercury provides the warranty and if they tell me it voids the warranty for any reversion related issues then I have no other choice than to believe them. Call them and ask and report back. Thanks for the help everyone.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:07 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 74 Likes on 24 Posts

My Silent Choice automatically opens at 2000 rpm's. I believe the exhaust solenoids are somehow wired to the tach feeds.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:24 PM
Registered

Called again today and spoke with a different rep. He said if you buy a brand new boat with factory installed switchable exhaust mercury will not warranty the motor for any water ingestion/reversion related issues. The motor will still be covered otherwise
Old 02-13-2012, 12:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
It does not void the warranty.
It dosen't matter. Try to get anything covered under warranty from Merc Racing, forget it. Even if your motor blows up after 1 hour, they will find a reason why it is your or somebody elses fault.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Registered

have any of you had or heard of cmi header issues in a single engine, fresh water only, no captain choice application?

i have been told by a couple reputable high performance marine mechanics and many other people that the header problem is only in salt water and boats with staggered twin/triple boats where the forward engine has long pipes with not enough support and in rough water the pipes move a lot causing the inner header tubes to crack.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.