Cam question >

Cam question

Notices

Cam question

Old 02-07-2012, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cam question

Got a boat with twin 260 mercs. I am looking into edelbrock aluminum heads, 1.6 roller rockers and rpm intake and new edelbrock carb. Just looking to bump power(and put the rear end on a diet!) and scare away some gremlins messing with WOT issues. I just want to do a quick top end deal before the season starts and then pull the motors in fall and stroke the bottom end(that will give me all summer to save a little more $$). I am thinking that by swapping to 1.6 full roller rockers, that should be sorta like a more agressive cam.

My question is, how much extra power can you pull from a cam swap? Keep in mind I am not building a high maintence race motor. I am looking for rock solid reliable performance. In cars obviously huge gains can be made, because the worst thing a fella has to worry about is poor vacum at idle. But with boats there is that pesky little issue of water reversion.

I ask only because when I yank the motors next fall, I plan on converting to roller setup, as I hear some block maching is required, to eliminate the costly retro kits. But then again, sometimes I feel like staying with the old flat tappet, as the cost stays low, and the gains are not that dramatic. also I am not pulling more then 5k rpms.

Last edited by MEANGREEN231; 02-07-2012 at 10:25 PM.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:49 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

There is a member here named Bob Madara of Marine Kinetics who goes by the screen name of "RMBuilder". Bob is pretty much known as the cam guru on OSO and will consult you on a cam profile based on your engine cid and type of components you have now or want to upgrade with mods later. You'll save a lot of head ache and frustration---Bob is at least worth a phone call. 585-654-8583
Old 02-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Keep in mind that Bob can only do roller cams anymore due to the lack of availability of flat tappet billets.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:55 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

You did not mention exhaust. Every marine build starts with exhaust, if you plan on using your stock exhaust save your money.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
You did not mention exhaust. Every marine build starts with exhaust, if you plan on using your stock exhaust save your money.
He's right. All the Induction parts/mods won't be worth all the $$$ and trouble without a good aftermarket, free breathing, unrestrictive exhaust system FIRST.

Anyway, it sounds like an interesting project---have fun!