Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
mercruiser 5.7L oil pan question? (1 piece rear main) >

mercruiser 5.7L oil pan question? (1 piece rear main)

Notices

mercruiser 5.7L oil pan question? (1 piece rear main)

Old 02-13-2012, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default mercruiser 5.7L oil pan question? (1 piece rear main)

OK, so I have a marine 5.7L and two standard vortec from late 90's trucks. The pans look similar, but the marine pan is aobut an inch deeper than the truck pans. Marine pan also has the drain plug in the middle, where the truck pans are on the side.

Since I have different pans, I am looking for a new "marine" pan and I seem to be seeing 5 and 6 quart pans for the 350 chevy motor. What is up with that? If a 5 quart pan will work, why not use the original truck pans? The windage tray is part of the block on all three engines, nothing in the pan at all.

did mercruiser offer some engines with the 5 qt pan and some with the 6 qt pan?

Any reason not to use the 5 qt pans over teh 6 qt pans other than the extra quart of oil residing in the pan helping with heat control? As mentioned, all three motors have the same windage pan on the bottom of the engine and both pan styles look very similar.

Sorry if I missed any spelling items, drinking tonight.... !

Brian
Old 02-14-2012, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same problem when switching over my 260/350 to the vortec style motor. I ened up using the truck pan mine came with never had an issue with it.
Old 02-14-2012, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Brian,
I would want the extra quart of oil. It helps with cooling but its also nice to have the extra quart when you start wave jumping If you do use the shorter pan, you will have to also change the oil pump pickup to compensate. If Mercruiser did offer both pans, I would almost bet that it depended on the horsepower rating and intended application. Doesn't the marine pan also have a "longer" sump ? The one I have sitting on the shelf sure does and it also has a baffle in the pan.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 02-15-2012, 05:15 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

another possible issue. oil changes. the marine dipstick usually mounts to the center drain hole to provide a pump-out. side drains, best oil change option is into the bilge and out the boat drain plug. messy! also, the way boats bounce, i like to keep oil level at the add mark, not full, to keep oil from crank throws. ebay-craigslist. you can usually find a whole bad motor for the price of a new pan. maybe even a whole boat with a trailer to re-sell.