question for those who've installed drives

Notices

question for those who've installed drives

Old 06-21-2002, 09:42 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default question for those who've installed drives

It just occured to me that when I hung my Bravo drive on the gimble I forgot to check the shift cable. I remember the catch thing being open and sticking out slightly, but I never looked to see if it engaged. The drive certainly went on without a fuss. So the question is, do I need to pull the drive to check the cable? Could it of been damaged?
Old 06-21-2002, 10:12 AM
Registered

You do not need to remove the drive.
try shifting the drive into forward gear go back to the propand see if it is locked when you try to turn by hand in the revers direction and free when you turn it forward. Then shift into reverse to see if it will turn in the opposite direction freely and locked when you try to turn it reverse. If this works fine then the shift cable in inserted properly.
Old 06-21-2002, 10:14 AM
Registered

Talking

You better let us young educated ones do it next time... you cheese head

I put it in gear forward and reverse, and see if the prop locks the right direction and spins the oppisite direction.. But I have never had a problem.. this is really confusing isn't it LOL!
Old 06-21-2002, 10:17 AM
Registered

I was under the impression that it was very bad to shift a Bravo without the engine running in which case Mikes instructions would remove Cords hand. Id put the ears on it, fire it up and if it shifts OK, your good to go.
Old 06-21-2002, 10:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

That's what I thought, too, Formula31.

As a matter of fact, the one time I stalled with the drive in gear, there was going to absolutely no shifting going on at all. It wouldn't budge...

I had to hotwire the neutral safety switch and crank her over before it would move in and out of gear.
Old 06-21-2002, 10:28 AM
Registered

I never knew that :embarrassed: Well i have had no problems yet with the bravo on the baja.. its been off at least a million times in about 5 years LOL!! its nice to know that its not to smart to do it while its not running... hmmmmm intersting..
Old 06-21-2002, 10:35 AM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

The problem is complicated by the fact that I don't have an engine or shift quadrant. Throttle works good though!
Old 06-21-2002, 10:42 AM
Registered

If you had an engine....it would be OK to check as others have suggested to put in gear and see if the prop stops (engaged) To be on the safe side always PULL YOUR KILL SWITCH and be aware of the fact your motor could still turn over. Just be easy when messing with the prop...no need to (try) to move the motor.
Old 06-21-2002, 11:13 AM
Registered

Now you really have me confused which is not hard to do anymore. You have the drive on but no motor? Arent you gonna have to take the drive off to get the motor in anyway?
Old 06-21-2002, 12:13 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Ah, good point formula. I'm using an extension box that has a splined center bearing. The drive slides into the bearing and a drive shaft connects to the engine.

Quick Reply: question for those who've installed drives

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.