Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Crankcase Cooler - Is there such a thing out there? >

Crankcase Cooler - Is there such a thing out there?

Notices

Crankcase Cooler - Is there such a thing out there?

Old 02-20-2012, 05:33 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by PatriYacht
If the oil in the pan is getting that hot, something is wrong no matter what the temp is coming out of the cooler. So what can be causing it to get that hot? The oil flow rate is not fast enough for the HP produced.Heat tranfer from the underside of the pistons is a big heat source. If you are running leanI am running 12.5 AFR at WOT, your oil will get too hot for your oil cooler to handle. Same with any detonation.No detonation since the PCM555 ECU with knock sensors would retard the spark and I have had the heads off many times and zero signs of detotation ever What's the compression ratio and what gas are you putting in it.The effective compression produced is 150 psi Aluminum heads?iron Water temp?closed cooling (Merc 496HO) with the stock 160F thermostat replaced with a 120F = 138F coolant at cruise 140F @ WOT Are you flowing water freely out of the the engine, ie. (2) 1 inch dia. hoses?as said before closed cooling Too large of a prop possibly lugging the engine5600-5800 rpm. How much timing are you running?31.5* which is the HP3 race engine tuneSorry for all the questions, just looking at the big picture.
See answers above in red
Old 02-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by KWright
Ok see if i understand you correctly. the oil in the pan is 270+ deg. oil exiting the cooler is 190 deg. right. so oil going thru your motor is 190 deg. so lowering the temp in the pan wont do anything for you cause its going to be cooled by the cooler before going back thru your motor.
Well even though the oil into the engine is 190F, as the crank case temperature goes up the oil pressure readings I record go down so the oil at the bearings is not staying at 190F as the crankcase temp goes up but is getting hotter and hotter as the crankcase oil temp reading increases. The other problem with that opinion is that as the oil is heated beyond its tolerance it becomes irreversibly degraded so next time the engine is run the 20W50 oil is now 10W30 or 5W20 or 0w10 or whatever and black burned/oxidized depending on how hot it got. Race engines get the oil changed after every race. Not looking forward to that requirement.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Rage
Well even though the oil into the engine is 190F, as the crank case temperature goes up the oil pressure readings I record go down so the oil at the bearings is not staying at 190F as the crankcase temp goes up but is getting hotter and hotter as the crankcase oil temp reading increases. The other problem with that opinion is that as the oil is heated beyond its tolerance it becomes irreversibly degraded so next time the engine is run the 20W50 oil is now 10W30 or 5W20 or 0w10 or whatever and black burned/oxidized depending on how hot it got. Race engines get the oil changed after every race. Not looking forward to that requirement.
I understand what your saying my point is if your cooler is cooling it to 190 deg cooling it more before the cooler will only close the oil cooler thermostat
. right so its reaching those hot temps before the pan so the damage is already done.

Last edited by KWright; 02-20-2012 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by KWright
I understand what your saying my point is if your cooler is cooling it to 190 deg cooling it more before the cooler will only close the oil cooler thermostat
. right so its reaching those hot temps before the pan so the damage is already done.
Yes now, if I would continue at WOT. Knowing that I currently shut down before those temps are reached but I want to be able to run at WOT as long as I want w/o this problem so that is why I am looking for a fix.... interim now....permanent at the next refresh.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

Yes now, if I would continue at WOT. Knowing that I currently shut down before those temps are reached but I want to be able to run at WOT as long as I want w/o this problem so that is why I am looking for a fix.... interim now....permanent at the next refresh.
The fix is what you don't want to hear your motor is making the heat before the pan so you will have to go to the source there is no quick fix.
Old 02-20-2012, 08:03 PM
Registered

190F - 200F at cruise. About 220F and steady at 4500. It is when I run at full throttle 5300 - 5800 rpm (depending on prop) that the crankcase oil starts a steady climb. 1 min WOT crank case temperature depends on how hot the crank case oil already is. Starting with hot oil it gets to about 240F +/-.
I wonder if you may not be asking for too much out of a closed cooling system hp engine? Mine with cc will start to climb if I run more than a minute or 2 at WOT. I ususally won't spend that much time at wot without settling back a bit to cool things down. How much coninutous wot time are you wanting to see with this setup?
Old 02-20-2012, 08:41 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

it doesn't matter if you run the oil line through an ice chest after the cooler, and it goes into the engine at 40 degrees. the engine heats it up where you need it cool the most. if it is 270 in the sump, it is hotter than that as it is trying to keep your crank away from your rods. that is why we are all trying to come up with possible causes.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Registered

Post some good pics of your entire oil system. Can't take that long.

The default path of oil on that engine is:

Out of the remote oil filter adapter plate to the filter.

From the filter to cooler

From cooler back to block into the half-inch npt fitting on bottom of block.

Ideally, you want the stat plumbed in right at block exit.

I'd need to see it. What about the block by-pass valve? Is it being used (mostly) which would cause excessive temps at about any rpm respectively?

This isn't rocket science. Take the engineer hat off or get a buddy to look at it and see if you can find an error.

Trying to measure the inside crank case temp is just plain crazy even if you find a way to do it. What does it prove or matter? You got something wrong somewhere man.

Also, the answer to your prior question was "yes".

Post some pics of the port side of the engine(s). And some up close and some a foot or more away.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:44 PM
Registered

See answers above in red
Not to get off topic here but it's important to remember the fact that the knock sensors on that engine do NOT work for the most part.

The knock system on a 496 will let you lean it and burn down all day long. I don't care what the manual, Mercury or any diag tool tells you.

The sensors are there to keep the pcm happy but overall the system DOES NOT WORK like most others. NEVER trust it. You gotta go by what you know and not always what is "supposed to be".

friendly FYI -
Old 02-21-2012, 03:55 AM
Registered

I would try to add some fuel at wot to see if it has any effect. maybe raise your fuel pressure for a pass.
After all the testing that you've done I would have put a bigger cooler on it by now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.