Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Crankcase Cooler - Is there such a thing out there? >

Crankcase Cooler - Is there such a thing out there?

Notices

Crankcase Cooler - Is there such a thing out there?

Old 02-21-2012, 04:58 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by blue thunder
I wonder if you may not be asking for too much out of a closed cooling system hp engine? Mine with cc will start to climb if I run more than a minute or 2 at WOT. I ususally won't spend that much time at wot without settling back a bit to cool things down. How much coninutous wot time are you wanting to see with this setup?
I to wonder if your closed cooling is not larg enough to keep things cool. have you tried by passing the closed cooling and ran it rwa water cooled to see what happeneds?
Old 02-21-2012, 05:00 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

is there some way to plumb a flow meter into your cooler lines?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:02 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by KWright
I understand what your saying my point is if your cooler is cooling it to 190 deg cooling it more before the cooler will only close the oil cooler thermostat
. right so its reaching those hot temps before the pan so the damage is already done.
Yes. That is why I shut it down these days when it starts to get hot. You suspect that there is some motor damaging friction/detonation/etc. problem in the engine causing the oil temp climbing problem. I have checked out every suggestion as to what that might be for years now and found nothing to date. All I did find was inadequate oil cooler and feed lines early on and fixed that. Now I believe it is more likely that the 496 block has a HP limit with its standard bearing set up do to the resulting oil flow rate limit that bearing clearance produces. I have found other examples similar to mine with the same problem and only recently someone (a professional engine builder and mechanic) who also after many years looking at everything under the sun found the bearing clearances to be the problem at the high HP for the 496. I still appreciate and am listening and evaluating everything that is proposed but given how long I have been at this many are repeats. Does this make any sense to you?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:03 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Rage:

We set all our high horsepower 496's with .0025-.003" main bearing clearance, .003" bearing clearance on the rods and we have no oil overheating issues on our engines when we use the 10778 oil pump, adequate size lines and fittings from the block to the oil filter and then to the cooler and back to the block. WE ONLY USE THE "ALUMINA" SERIES BEARINGS AND YOU SHOULD NEVER USE "H" SERIES BEARINGS ON THE STOCK GM 496 CRANKSHAFTS! If you have everything correct and assembled and plumbed correctly and a good oil cooler sized as yours with a properly working oil thermostat you should not be having a problem you are suppossedly seeing and expierencing with your oil system.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 02-21-2012, 10:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rage
Yes. That is why I shut it down these days when it starts to get hot. You suspect that there is some motor damaging friction/detonation/etc. problem in the engine causing the oil temp climbing problem. I have checked out every suggestion as to what that might be for years now and found nothing to date. All I did find was inadequate oil cooler and feed lines early on and fixed that. Now I believe it is more likely that the 496 block has a HP limit with its standard bearing set up do to the resulting oil flow rate limit that bearing clearance produces. I have found other examples similar to mine with the same problem and only recently someone (a professional engine builder and mechanic) who also after many years looking at everything under the sun found the bearing clearances to be the problem at the high HP for the 496. I still appreciate and am listening and evaluating everything that is proposed but given how long I have been at this many are repeats. Does this make any sense to you?
Rage, you're stuck in your own loop. It happens to everyone. Post some pics. Talking on the internet alone won't fix it. How long can you discuss something before acting?

If I have time, I'll put some up for you later today or tomorrow morning.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:52 PM
VIP Member

sound to me that oil thermo is stuck closed.. and is just flowing through bypass
Old 02-21-2012, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 4,407 Likes on 1,263 Posts
Default sorry off topic

Mr. Ray I was just surfing your site.. sweet engines man !! I like the intake on the 750. you got any more pics of that bad boy?
Old 02-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by Rage
I have finally confirmed the reason for my engine oil temp problem during extended WOT running. Insufficient oil flow rate through the oil cooler for 625hp. An engine builder/mechanic built a pair of Whippled 496's for a 47 foot tub. So ~650hp though he claimed they dynoed 731hp. The engines are run at WOT for extended periods of time to push the heavy boat and oil temp was excessive. These have the same identical oil cooler as I do (Hardin 3x18 thermostatically controlled). Over a period of years of trial and error and insufficient success he finally increased the bearing clearances from 0.0025 to 0.0030 & 0.0035 rear main to increase the oil flow (through the oil cooler) and went from the 8-9 GPM Melling HV oil pump to an adjustable 15 GPM external oil pump to maintain the necessary oil pressure with the increased bearing clearances. That finally solved it.

I may eventually copy that but in the meantime I am looking for a work around that does not require pulling the engine and tear down. My first thought is to strap a radiator core style to the bottom of the crank case pan and run sea water through it to cool the bottom of the crank case and there fore the hot oil. Comment? Other ideas/products?
i have a KE oil pan with a cooler mounted in it that water runs through,i believe its like 8x10x1..
Old 02-21-2012, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 911 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
Rage:

We set all our high horsepower 496's with .0025-.003" main bearing clearance, .003" bearing clearance on the rods and we have no oil overheating issues on our engines when we use the 10778 oil pump, adequate size lines and fittings from the block to the oil filter and then to the cooler and back to the block. WE ONLY USE THE "ALUMINA" SERIES BEARINGS AND YOU SHOULD NEVER USE "H" SERIES BEARINGS ON THE STOCK GM 496 CRANKSHAFTS! If you have everything correct and assembled and plumbed correctly and a good oil cooler sized as yours with a properly working oil thermostat you should not be having a problem you are suppossedly seeing and expierencing with your oil system.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Ray,
just curious on the reason for the bearing material. what issue was the H series causing and what does the Alumina series do for it?
thanks
Old 02-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Registered

Default Plumbing

Rage,

I said I'd put these up today. It got dark on me so they are not very good. I'll try for some better ones when work slows..

Also, I'll have to post the oil flow at block tomorrow as my phone screwed up the attachment.

Mine goes from block to filter, then to stat.

From there it either bypasses 80 percent back to block via the bypass line or it goes to first cooler and then to second cooler back to block and past bypass line.
Attached Thumbnails Crankcase Cooler - Is there such a thing out there?-dsc00814.jpg   Crankcase Cooler - Is there such a thing out there?-dsc00816.jpg   Crankcase Cooler - Is there such a thing out there?-dsc00830.jpg  

Crankcase Cooler - Is there such a thing out there?-dsc00832.jpg   Crankcase Cooler - Is there such a thing out there?-dsc00833.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.