Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Best Anchor in Lake Michigan, Box Anchor or Fortress for 34ft boat >

Best Anchor in Lake Michigan, Box Anchor or Fortress for 34ft boat

Notices

Best Anchor in Lake Michigan, Box Anchor or Fortress for 34ft boat

Old 02-21-2012, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 157 Likes on 70 Posts

Any anchor will work fine on lk Mi. I use a box anchor and sometimes struggle to get the thing pulled up. I like the easy fold up storage of the box.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess it all depends on the type of bottom you have...... I own both and the box never held me solid, I always drifted a little. Then to pull the box up was a job......heavy piece. Now my Fortress is so light and easy, I love it......and holds like a son of a bit*h..... I went with a size smaller then recommended and she still holds me with out fail.......
Old 02-22-2012, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive used the Fortress, Box, and Delta Fast Set, and I like the fast set the best for Lake St. Clair Mi.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:08 PM
Registered

Received 4,285 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Being able to fold up the box and be able to store it in a small space is pretty priceless. I have the smaller one and it will not hold too well in anything over 3' but my buddy has the bigger one and it holds but its a heavy *****.
Old 02-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a mid sized steel danforth for the front, and a small danforth for the rear. I've cut the horizontal bars shorter on the front, now it fits nicely under the seat. And it still holds fantastic in waves on Lake Mi with my 36ft boat.
I've heard the box ones are a PITA to handle, but the storage is nice.
The rear has to be quick to deploy and adjust as once you back in you have little time to get tied straight before you get blown into other boats. And you only need about 50 ft max rop for rear, using about 20-30 ft typically. But 100 to 150 ft capable on the front for sure and yes get a chain rode on the front.
Old 02-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant fully comment since our lakes are all mud bottom.

The small box could not hold my 25', 6k closed bow. Stepped up to the large and it holds decent til the winds pick up or I get more than two similar sized mooching.
Box works great as a quick deploy when comming into a line and not being able to fully set a danforth style due to the short rode.

Also picked up an Fortress FX-37. Breaks down for easy storage but provides the no second thoughts, lock down needed in higher winds and holiday weekends when the dumb azz's come out and boat lines start moving. FX-16 or 23 would be sufficient if I was actually purchasing.

Oversize takes all the worry away so I can enjoy the day (or sleep all night). Same with big fenders.
Old 02-24-2012, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

I use a basic fluke anchor. Its pretty decent sized, with about 6ft or so of chain. Works fine. I think i paid like 100 bucks for the anchor, chain, and line in a kit from a local marina. I forget the brand name, but nothing fancy. I use the same style for a rear anchor, just smaller (for the beach)