496 mag running issues >

496 mag running issues

Notices

496 mag running issues

Old 02-27-2012, 09:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Raylar
The alarm went off so you have fault codes stored in the ECM that may direct you to a simple fix. Scan it first and then start doing other things. It could be difficult to start just replacing things without the fault codes. Check EM!

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
ok thanks ray. do you reccommend any shops up in the corona/riverside area?
Old 02-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Yah, talk to Gary @ G& S Marine in Corona, he should be able to scan and maybe help locate your issue. Hope its easy and inexpensive fix.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 02-27-2012, 09:53 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Raylar
Yah, talk to Gary @ G& S Marine in Corona, he should be able to scan and maybe help locate your issue. Hope its easy and inexpensive fix.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Thanks I'll give him a call.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:29 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Is there a normal amount of water coming out the exhaust? Does the exhaust feel hot when the alarm sounds? Backflushing of the raw water side components is easy and good maintenance even if that isn't the problem.

An infra-red heat gun is really handy to have on board to check engine and oil temps. Point it on the oil pan to get oil temp. Point it at the oil filter too.

http://www.amazon.com/Raytek-MT4-Non.../dp/B0002198GY
Old 02-28-2012, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seriously - Don't overlook the routing of the knock sensor wires. I know it sounds goofy, but I can't stress this enough. My boat has twin 496's and the port motors issue, - similiar to yours- was fully documented with Merc and they were unable to identify a problem over the course of 3 years. Its a freebie to look at, just make sure the wire routing is nowhere close to a plug wire.

Eric
Old 02-28-2012, 02:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by downtime270
Seriously - Don't overlook the routing of the knock sensor wires. I know it sounds goofy, but I can't stress this enough. My boat has twin 496's and the port motors issue, - similiar to yours- was fully documented with Merc and they were unable to identify a problem over the course of 3 years. Its a freebie to look at, just make sure the wire routing is nowhere close to a plug wire.

Eric
Ok I'll take a look at it today when I get home. Thanks
Old 02-28-2012, 05:44 PM
Registered

Does the knock sensor sit right behind the starter? If it is the wire is pretty much resting on one of my spark plug wires.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So on a 496 MPI motor there are 2 knock sensors, one on each side of the block. I attached a picture to help you visualize it, however it will have a bolt through the center. Think of it this way - its just a microphone looking to detect any type of detonation. If it gets interference from the High frequency plug wires - it sends incorrect signal to the ECM and the ECM attempts to adjust the timing or fuel supply to compensate for what it thinks is detonation.. There is a very small greyish/white single wire coming off of it to a black connector. It should be routed very closely along the edge of the block around to the back of the bellhousing where it connects. If the wire is coming off at a funny angle - just loosen the bolt and rotate it to help you route the wire better. All I can tell you is I chased this issue too long to find out this was the problem. I had certified merc mechanics run the boat, tech the boat, and converse with Merc to no avail...Until I stumbled across a technical article that lead me to this...Good Luck!

jpeg image hosting
Old 02-28-2012, 07:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a few grains of sand jammed in the water pressure sensor on the impeller housing. Guradian alarm would go off if I ran it over 3000 rpm it would reduce power until i brought it back to idle, then the alarm would fo off.

I bought a new sensor and while replacing I inspected the old sensor. I tapped it a few times and the sand came out.......
Old 02-28-2012, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...ft+and+Pistons #12 is knock sensor,,one on each side of block

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.