509 with M1 Procharger MPI questions >

509 with M1 Procharger MPI questions

Notices

509 with M1 Procharger MPI questions

Old 02-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 509 with M1 Procharger MPI questions

I just bought a .030 over 502 with JE flat top pistons. (all forged internals) The compression ratio is around 8.5 to 1.
It has Pro Comp 320cc rectangular port aluminum heads with 2.250"/1.88" severe duty valves, new seals, Comp dual springs and retainers, and 10deg locks. Pushrods are 1piece .080" wall moly and topped off with billet aluminum 1.7 ratio roller rockers.
Camshaft is a flat tappet hydraulic with .553"/.578" lift, duration @.050" is 234/244, and lobe sep is 110deg.
It made 575hp @ 5600rpm and just shy of 600lb/ft or torque at 4000rpm on pump gas with a single plane intake.

I Have a 2000 Baja H2X with a stock 7.4 MPI. I plan on replacing my original 7.4L with this new engine. I have a new M1 Procharger with intercooler. I want to use this M1 procharger with Fuel Injection. I am very interested in the new Dynojet CMD (Combustion Management Device) to manage the air/fuel ratio. I have upgraded my Fuel system (AEROMOTIVE A1000 pump). I have a MSD Ignition with soft touch rev control. I will be upgrading my exhaust also.

My questions are: Can I use my MPI setup on this new engine? What size injectors will I need and where is the best place to get them? Or should I get an injection set up off of a 502 mag engine? Will this cam shaft work? If not, What cam should I get? Should I look at a roller setup?

I have searched many threads on Procharged EFI setups and haven't seen any with the new MPI Intake like I have on a 502 or bigger. Any help is appreciated.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1st get rid of that cam...not good, go with with a roller as you will have nothing but issues with the flat tappet, and the lope separation not good for a marine setup. The efi can be made to work but with LOTS of $$$ and time, I had a simular setup canned the EFI and went with a blowthru prosystems custom carb and aeromotive fuel system, love it ! smitty on here has gotten the efi to work well but he has lots of time $$$ in the setup...as far as the cam is contact Bob M @ marine kinectics, he will set you right...Rob
Old 02-29-2012, 06:23 PM
Registered

Thanks Ezstriper.

Has any anyone else installed a 7.4 MPI intake on a 502 or larger engine?

And what Cam should I get? I plan on going all roller..
Thanks
Old 02-29-2012, 11:01 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by quick69
I just bought a .030 over 502 with JE flat top pistons. (all forged internals) The compression ratio is around 8.5 to 1.
It has Pro Comp 320cc rectangular port aluminum heads with 2.250"/1.88" severe duty valves, new seals, Comp dual springs and retainers, and 10deg locks. Pushrods are 1piece .080" wall moly and topped off with billet aluminum 1.7 ratio roller rockers.
Camshaft is a flat tappet hydraulic with .553"/.578" lift, duration @.050" is 234/244, and lobe sep is 110deg.
It made 575hp @ 5600rpm and just shy of 600lb/ft or torque at 4000rpm on pump gas with a single plane intake.

I Have a 2000 Baja H2X with a stock 7.4 MPI. I plan on replacing my original 7.4L with this new engine. I have a new M1 Procharger with intercooler. I want to use this M1 procharger with Fuel Injection. I am very interested in the new Dynojet CMD (Combustion Management Device) to manage the air/fuel ratio. I have upgraded my Fuel system (AEROMOTIVE A1000 pump). I have a MSD Ignition with soft touch rev control. I will be upgrading my exhaust also.

My questions are: Can I use my MPI setup on this new engine? What size injectors will I need and where is the best place to get them? Or should I get an injection set up off of a 502 mag engine? Will this cam shaft work? If not, What cam should I get? Should I look at a roller setup?

I have searched many threads on Procharged EFI setups and haven't seen any with the new MPI Intake like I have on a 502 or bigger. Any help is appreciated.
Your MPI intake will not work with those heads, there is too much of a port mismatch and the gasket won't seal properly. It sounds like the short block is decent but I'd go hydraulic roller and ditch the ProComp heads. IMO you should sell your 7.4 complete, sell off the procomps, cam, and intake as a package and buy some AFR or Dart heads and get a cam from Bob Madara. If you want to gamble with the ProComps you can and they'll make decent power, but it is truly a gamble.. For the EFI portion the Holley HP MPI system is an excellent deal and comes complete with everything you'd need. If you're interested in going down that road I can give you all the part numbers you'd need and even a base tune to get you going. We did a 489 with and M1 and the MPI intake a couple years ago. I think it made just over 600ish but the intake is definitely a huge restriction.
Attached Thumbnails 509 with M1 Procharger MPI questions-148.jpg  
Old 02-29-2012, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

You would be much better off with the Mag intake. Even it will need some mods to make it work. It depends on the year intake that you get. I have a few of them if you need one. THe post 98 models require a lot less work to the fuel rail. None of these intakes were designed to support that much power. However, they can just fine with a few much needed mods.
You will need injectors. The amount of power you are looking to make will determine the inector. You will probably be best off with 65lb injecors. They will support over900 hp.
Give me shout if you would like. I have done tons of Procharger setups like yours. It really isnt that hard or expensive to make it work. You just need to know what needs to be done to make it work correctly. I would be glad to help you out with just some advice or help you select the correct parts, etc.
Eddie
615-216-7449
Old 04-24-2012, 11:10 PM
Registered

Young Performance

Well, I decided to drop everything off with Eddie at Young Performance. He is modifying my mag intake and setting up my procharger. He also is installing a new roller camshaft for me.
It was a 6 1/2 hour drive one way, but I feel like it will be well worth it. Eddie really seems to know his stuff when it comes to supercharged efi setups. I was really impressed with his shop and all the projects that he is working on. I can’t wait to get my engine back so I can go play!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:10 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

It was great meeting you Kyle. We will do our best to get you up and running as soon as we can. Thanks
Eddie
Old 04-25-2012, 09:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Young Performance
It was great meeting you Kyle. We will do our best to get you up and running as soon as we can. Thanks
Eddie
It was good meeting you also. I really appreciate you taking the time to talk to me and explaining all that needs to be done.
Thanks again,
Kyle
Old 04-25-2012, 09:00 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
You'd be surprised what an Ol iron head MPI can make
Old 04-26-2012, 04:22 PM
Registered

Eddie did a rail for me and has been very helpful in answer some random questions I've had doing a 502mag w/procharger.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.