Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
10 year old merc 575sci engines with zero run time, concerns? >

10 year old merc 575sci engines with zero run time, concerns?

Notices

10 year old merc 575sci engines with zero run time, concerns?

Old 09-26-2012, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 272bajadriver
4bus glad your enjoying your boat! 38 fountain is on my wish list if I ever get back into big blocks. I'm very happy with my outboards. Post some pics of that bad boy!!!

PS. are you going to paint the engines green this winter? You know I got the paint if you need it Gotta have some fun.

Congrats with the boat bud!
hahaha! Tell the mods to turn that eagle engine thread back on!

Here are some pics, and a little of the story

it sat for a long time, the clear was burnt off the boat

Hard to tell from these pics, but the clear was gone on the bow, leaving just white chalky paint and gel

I didn't like the half finished look of the checkers on the bow, I had the top done just white, but I am not done yet. A giant "fountain" will be added to the bow this winter

Old 09-26-2012, 08:54 AM
Registered

The important stuff was new when it came how however, engines and cabin looked great. Cabin carpet was washed out from standing water at one point, however there was no smell or mold. The engine bilge paint also has a rain water line on it, that will be addressed this winter when I pull them and repaint the bilge. I was really suprised to see the cabin in such great shape, I thought the water in the bilge would have released the glues. Looks great, and has the ultra leather option

Last edited by 4bus; 09-26-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 08:59 AM
Registered

the stock vynil was shot, and ugly! I am thinking this may be part of the reason the boat sat unsold lol

pulled everything out, everything. There was mold forming between the wood interior backs and the glass, cleaned up well, wood was replaced and sealed. The cockpit was repainted as well. the stock white wheel had turned black! the gauges and dash were so sun faded they could not be read.

paint! exactly 8 days after it came home!

Last edited by 4bus; 09-26-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Registered

forgot this one, sold sign and coming home after being fitted to the 2009 myco trailer

Old 09-26-2012, 09:08 AM
Registered

new interior, this took the longest as they were backed up. this pic was May of 2012, boat came home Feb 2012

new dash, wheel, and believe it or not I polished all the gauges and rings clean. Chrome polish on the yellow plastic lenses makes them look new again. The dash was painted, I lost all the etched labels. New one piece dash and monster gauges will be added this winter

tunes! Sub box on drivers side, replaced cabinet. Amp inside pass side cabinet all the way up front

After a week of wet sanding and buffing, this was done before interior, dash, and stereo was installed. What a mess

Old 09-26-2012, 09:12 AM
Registered

In the water, 3 week of May 2012, we made good time. Windshield was changed to blue from white. Still need new side glass, this winter

testing the tundra!

Old 09-26-2012, 09:14 AM
Registered

test run BEFORE the interior install. Yes, no seats I figured if the engines needed to come out, better off finding out before the interior install

Old 09-26-2012, 09:16 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Looks amazing! Great find with some good elbow grease to bring it back to new!

I just purchased a boat as well that had been sitting for a while (about 3 yrs). It was started every year however and ran before being properly winterized...
Just wondering what steps I should do like you did?
Old 09-26-2012, 09:18 AM
Registered

was a great boat all summer, 60 hrs and counting.

The future misses 4bus, getting married November 2nd and then get this....honemooning at the KW races! Love her hahah. Cant seem to get vote for boater girl of the week.....too many abs?

Old 09-26-2012, 09:29 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rambocj7
Looks amazing! Great find with some good elbow grease to bring it back to new!

I just purchased a boat as well that had been sitting for a while (about 3 yrs). It was started every year however and ran before being properly winterized...
Just wondering what steps I should do like you did?
Thanks I am not sure I would do it again, acutally with the dive that boat prices just took not sure it was worth it. However, the thing is like brand new now.

Change the starters, They may look ok, but will not last. Starters are most likely a pile of rust inside from sitting. change impeller housings, and take the engine fuel system apart and clean. There are screens in the fuel system that may be gummed up. Send injectors out for testing if you have them, if carbs get them rebuilt

Grease everything you can, lube all cables with this! The neeedle lets it slide past the cable end http://www.ebay.com/itm/180746177790?hlp=false

If you have mechnical fuel pumps just change them, trust me.

Take out all the old fuel and keep spare fuel filters on the boat. Dump or change the spin on filters after each day until they dump clean. Do not run it hard until the filters are clean.

Change engine oil filters the first two weekends after runs, cut the old ones open and check for metal. If you see metal stop and tear them down.

If you don;t have fuel pressure gauges get them, even if temp. They are a good indication of what is going on when you first run this on the coming months. Seeing fuel pressure drop (I saw it a lot until tanks were clean) is cheap insurance for you to stop and save an engine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.