Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
496 Exhaust Change - From Dana to CMI >

496 Exhaust Change - From Dana to CMI

Notices

496 Exhaust Change - From Dana to CMI

Old 03-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By the way...finally got the cam done and using the computer I got from you. I was surprised it worked after sitting in the box for so long!
Old 03-28-2012, 10:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kr1276
That came out really nice! I am glad you posted up some pics to see. With the angle of the pipes, I find it hard to believe you had a water problem. Glad it all worked out!
Thanks again Keith! I'm still convinced this setup is very wet inside. We verified it's not the headers. It's either reversion from the bigger Raylar Cam or leaks in the new tails that were custom made.

Sure runs good. Keep'in a watch on it.

Cheers!
Old 03-28-2012, 10:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by vindicator101
SD, What actaully happened with the Dana's? Did the risers start leaking? Not trying to stir the pot about the vender just curious about what failed.
Oh boy...

Well, it's been a mess. Part of that mess lies on my back as I gave some wrong info to them on accident none-the-less.

However, I owned that and well... we disagree. I'm still owed at this point and even if that were not the case I'm not sure if I wanna get into all that. It's a very long story and not much good will come out of it.

There was a riser problem that has been repaired (pretty sure).
Old 03-28-2012, 10:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kr1276
By the way...finally got the cam done and using the computer I got from you. I was surprised it worked after sitting in the box for so long!
Not surprised. If kept dry they don't die easily. Glad you can use it. And I'm still sorry I sold it!!

What was I thinking.. Best of luck and thanks again for a really, really nice set of new headers.

BTW, those bent nipples were a piece of cake for my buddy who fixed them. I think he spent a total of about 25 minutes. Totally stoked!!
Old 03-29-2012, 11:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Blueabyss
So what if any gains did you see?

Chris
sorry if my response sounded "know-it-all". after reading it might have been overkill. just wanted to give you some detail.

thanx
Old 03-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Registered

Let me know if you find a way to move it...I am not happy at all with the way mine turned out. But if I remember, the connection to the block is an odd one that make it difficult to connect another hose to it so the stock hose must me used. Mine had to be bent at almost a 90 degree angle and looks like crap right now...I would live to put it toward the back side of the engine or even the transom. It can't be good to be around the extra heat of the exhaust the way it is routed now.

I also wish there was a different way to run the distribution tubes...I had the coil re-locate kit but could not use because the bracket and coils would hit the distribution tubes on exhaust...so back on top of the valve covers they went.

Old 03-29-2012, 09:45 PM
Registered

Not understanding what you're talking about. I can' see your water rails or hoses. What are you wanting to relocate?
Old 03-29-2012, 10:01 PM
Registered

If you are talking about the oil filter and lines.. that's easy. Throw those lines out and make some nice ones using push lock hose and buy some an fittings. That's what I will do later.

I did not have the luxury of doing this before it went in the boat. So I made it work but it's an easy fix later when it comes back out. My entire oil plumbing minus the filter lines is all made to length for both the coolers and back to block.

I don't think the filter has any exposure at all to heat. Those headers run cool under way. Touch them after a good run. They are warm at dead idle but again; not a problem.

Do your water feeds all come out of a rail that has only 1 feed itself? I know Ray had the relocation kit on the race boat so there is a way to do it. You may have to work at it.

Nice rig!
Old 03-29-2012, 10:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SDFever
Throw those lines out and make some nice ones using push lock hose
How do the push lock work? I would love to re-locate the oil filter but had an issue with trying to the first time.

Originally Posted by SDFever
Do your water feeds all come out of a rail that has only 1 feed itself?
Yes, I have the rubber distribution rail type....one tube one each side feeds each tube.

I had two seperate issues I was refering to...the oil filter was the first

the second was the coils.......I bought the coil re-locate kit from Ray.....they mount below the headers...or suppose to but mine hit the distribution tubes so I had to put them back to the valve covers.

Let me know how and what material you use to move the oil filter and what base....it is my next project.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:15 PM
Registered

Here's one example of a push loc fitting.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...Id=10002&Nty=0

All you need is to spec out how much hose you need and buy the fittings.

If you find a decent hardware store that stocks push-Loc and AN fittings they will also have the hose. You can do whatever you want with it in terms of routing, length etc.

Your coil location kit might need some hack work to make you happy. I'm talking figuratively of course. I know the race boat had headers and it had the relocation kit. It can be done. But how much work and customization??? I don't know the answer to that. I'll ask next time I see Ray or Larry.

The really nice thing about the push on stuff is that it can never come off unless you literally cut it off. It never leaks. It's very clean looking as you don't have all the clamps and stuff hanging everywhere. It does not come loose like clamps do when they eventually burough into the rubber hose or back off with hot and cold.

You just have to take your time when mocking it up etc cause once you push it on the fitting you ain't gettin' it off unless you cut and start over.

I bought my fittings and hose from Jegs but lots of places have it. They also make the really nice silver and black colored fittings too in case the red and blue do not match your boat. Mine are all black and you can't see them in the pics.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.