Like Tree0Likes

Gen VI oil filter bypass valve and block mounted oil cooler valve

Old 03-02-2012, 09:01 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member
Trade Score: (1)

My Boats: 1999 29 Baja Outlaw
Default Gen VI oil filter bypass valve and block mounted oil cooler valve

Can someone show me a pic or describe where these bypass valves are on a Gen VI 454 block? I need to update my 11 lb oil filter bypass valve to a 30 lb and I also have read in posts that the "center" valve (whatever that is - I guess this was used to direct oil to a block mounted oil cooler in trucks that is not used in marine env). How are these valves replaced or removed? Is the center valve just removed? I have the engine in my garage now and would like to get this squared away before I put it in.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If you're looking at your oil filter pad with the block upside down there is a valve on the flat surface next to the nipple that the oil filter threads on to. That is the one that gets changed, or you can block it off with a steel core plug. It's easy to pry out with a screw driver and the new valve or plug just presses in. Next you need to unscrew the nipple the filter mounts to by using a large allen/hex wrench and under neath it you'll see the other valve. Use a long bolt, I think maybe 3/8?, it's been a while. Anyway with a couple taps you'll be able to thread the bolt in enough to use it to pry out the valve. Reinstall your filter mounting nipple and you're done.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Registered

My Boats: 32 Fountain

Is this valve under the filter nipple even if your engine has a remote mounted cooler and filter? Or will there only be the one next to it?
Old 03-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Registered

My Boats: 1998 Awesome 31 Thundercat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed View Post
If you're looking at your oil filter pad with the block upside down there is a valve on the flat surface next to the nipple that the oil filter threads on to. That is the one that gets changed, or you can block it off with a steel core plug. It's easy to pry out with a screw driver and the new valve or plug just presses in. Next you need to unscrew the nipple the filter mounts to by using a large allen/hex wrench and under neath it you'll see the other valve. Use a long bolt, I think maybe 3/8?, it's been a while. Anyway with a couple taps you'll be able to thread the bolt in enough to use it to pry out the valve. Reinstall your filter mounting nipple and you're done.
This by-pass valve is an interesting subject. While building my current ZZ502 motors, I had a detailed discussion with my builder. We both concluded that it best to use the 30lb. valve and select an oil filter with NO by-pass internal valve.

Why? Look at the 57003R Wix racing filter (replaces the HP6 Fram racing filter). It has an 18-22 lb. internal valve.

Decision based upon the Chevrolet 30 lb. replacement a better choice over the lesser 18-22 lb. oil filter valve.

Yes, Haxby is correct that you could plug this oil circuit. But be certain to select an oil filter with an internal by-pass valve.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:35 PM
Registered

My Boats: 2003 Eliminator 30' Daytona

This thread may help you

Oil by pass valve GenVI

or this one

where is OIL Bypass valve?

Last edited by Turbojack; 03-02-2012 at 08:39 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:22 PM
Registered

ok guys so i have fitted the two 30lbs bypass valves to the block. I put the temp sender on the return line to see what it is being cooled to and to my surprise it barely regists on my oil temp gauge which starts at 100F. So it has lend me to think that the oil is still short circuiting the oil cooler.........

Is there any GEN VI gurus out there that can help me with this matter?

Please note this engine is in a car not a boat if it makes a difference.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
My Boats: Pachanga Twin 502s Bob Mandra Cams

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67ss502 View Post
ok guys so i have fitted the two 30lbs bypass valves to the block.
What exactly does this mean?

Do you need pictures, I am sure I have some. It's very simple, its exactly as Haxby said.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:45 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Trade Score: (2)

My Boats: 2004 Formula 292

ARE THESE 11LB BY-PASSES IN THE STANDARD 502 THAT MERCRUISER BUILT, OR ARE THEY ONLY IN BLOCKS THAT ORIGINALY WERE INSTALLED IN CARS.

I have a 1999 gen VI 502 mpi
Do i have the 11lb or the 30lb????

Thanks
Old 04-10-2012, 08:16 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1999 Pantera 24 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBRONCO View Post
Can someone show me a pic or describe where these bypass valves are on a Gen VI 454 block? I need to update my 11 lb oil filter bypass valve to a 30 lb and I also have read in posts that the "center" valve (whatever that is - I guess this was used to direct oil to a block mounted oil cooler in trucks that is not used in marine env). How are these valves replaced or removed? Is the center valve just removed? I have the engine in my garage now and would like to get this squared away before I put it in.
Here's a pic. You want to remove inner valve and replace the outside one with part#25161284.

Old 04-10-2012, 08:17 AM
Registered

My Boats: 1999 Pantera 24 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopsmirage View Post
ARE THESE 11LB BY-PASSES IN THE STANDARD 502 THAT MERCRUISER BUILT, OR ARE THEY ONLY IN BLOCKS THAT ORIGINALY WERE INSTALLED IN CARS.

I have a 1999 gen VI 502 mpi
Do i have the 11lb or the 30lb????

Thanks
I would think that all merc engines would have 30 valves. But I can't say for sure.