Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
New boat to me what oil and drive oil to use?? >

New boat to me what oil and drive oil to use??

Notices

New boat to me what oil and drive oil to use??

Old 03-15-2012, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by chevytrucks94
Ok now i have had a few people tell me rotella 15w 40 diesel oil. Is this true and has anyone ran this and had good and or bad luck with it in their boat. I run it in my duramax and am happy with it but didn't know about boat application
It's a great oil, and not a bad choice. I have been running the sythetic rotella 5w40 in my wife's BMW V12 and it seems to really like it. I also have had good luck with it in air cooled automotive applications. I run Mobil 1 15w50 in my boat, mostly because that is what has been in it pretty much all it's life. The 50w is a benefit on hot summer days for extended runs.

Just picked up 5 qt jugs at Wally world for 26.50 and Merc high performance gear lube for 11 bucks a qt.
Old 03-16-2012, 01:00 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have run the Rotella for 2 years now, oil looks great when I change it. Pressure and temp are steady and I don't burn any. Check your local TSC (tractor Supply) I buy it in 5 gallon pails on sale, not as good as Synthetic but MUCH cheaper. I run AMSOIL in the lower unit, and a K&N filter. No complaints here.
Old 03-31-2012, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok i think after talking to my boat mechanic i am going to run the castrol gtx 20w50. Do i need to run any additives with this or anything? I am really torn between this and the rotella t 15w40. I want to stick with one of these because i have them both on hand.