Question about 575 SC blowers?

Notices

Question about 575 SC blowers?

Old 03-14-2012, 07:02 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about 575 SC blowers?

This winter, it was time for a freshen up on a friends set of 575 SC blowers. I rebuilt these engines a few years back to stock specs. Other than going .030 over on the bore, no modifications of any kind were done. The engines have run flawlessly since then. Come to think of it, they ran great before I tore them down. Getting back on point... I just got the blowers back from a reputable rebuilder. The rebuilder choose to add teflon wipes to the rotors. I must say, they did a great job. However, my concern was... will the addition of teflon wipes increase boost? A call to the rebuilder comfirmed my thoughts. He claims the wipes will increase boost by 1-2 psi. He claims no big deal, no worries. I tend to think differently. Although I doubt it would get to the extreme, I dont want to see 2 engines melt themselves down. I will keep an eye on the plugs for sure.
I have been on the boat many times running hard. I have never seen the boost gauge go above 3 psi. Now he is telling me the wipes will add 1-2 psi. With that in mind, we are talking about the possibility of increasing boost by 66%. In my book, boost = horsepower = heat. Heat needs fuel or an intercooler to cool down cylinder temps. I know Merc sets up their fuel curves safely on the rich side. But is the curve rich enough to handle potentially 66% more boost?
Has anyone done this before?
Old 03-14-2012, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by Vinny P
This winter, it was time for a freshen up on a friends set of 575 SC blowers. I rebuilt these engines a few years back to stock specs. Other than going .030 over on the bore, no modifications of any kind were done. The engines have run flawlessly since then. Come to think of it, they ran great before I tore them down. Getting back on point... I just got the blowers back from a reputable rebuilder. The rebuilder choose to add teflon wipes to the rotors. I must say, they did a great job. However, my concern was... will the addition of teflon wipes increase boost? A call to the rebuilder comfirmed my thoughts. He claims the wipes will increase boost by 1-2 psi. He claims no big deal, no worries. I tend to think differently. Although I doubt it would get to the extreme, I dont want to see 2 engines melt themselves down. I will keep an eye on the plugs for sure.
I have been on the boat many times running hard. I have never seen the boost gauge go above 3 psi. Now he is telling me the wipes will add 1-2 psi. With that in mind, we are talking about the possibility of increasing boost by 66%. In my book, boost = horsepower = heat. Heat needs fuel or an intercooler to cool down cylinder temps. I know Merc sets up their fuel curves safely on the rich side. But is the curve rich enough to handle potentially 66% more boost?
Has anyone done this before?
look at it this way,,i thought they should have put out like 4.5 to 5 lbs of boost??? now add 1-2 lbs so he may be even higher?? you can try bumping the fuel pressure on the throttle bodys,start fat then lein it out a bit,,one heat range colder spark plugs also just for the test would be safe..
Old 03-15-2012, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my thinking is they will only pick up that much for a short time...teflon will wear and be back to square one I bet...
Old 03-15-2012, 04:02 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Blower Shop did the same to mine. No issues, they ran great. My 575's were quite rich from the factory already.
Old 03-15-2012, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Dont worry, enjoy the added boost. Been running teflon tipped rotors with no issues. If the blowers were worn, and not operating efficiently, that can make some heat.

4-5psi on a stock 7.5 or 7.7:1 merc engine is not a problem. I wouldnt worry about adding a chiller until you exceed about 7psi. come to think of it, I am pretty sure all the merc factory blower setups, ran about 4-5psi. (525sc, 575, 600sc) Theres probably plenty of fuel in the stock mapping, although im not too familiar with the 575 setups.
Old 03-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

You may see up to one pound more of boost, mine stripped picked up about one. With stock tune I would not worry at all.
Old 03-15-2012, 09:35 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Thanks guys for sharing your experiences..
Old 03-16-2012, 01:33 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

The 575SCI's should have about 4.5#'s boost stock. I highly doubt there will be any issues with even up to 6#'s.
The 525SC is 5.5#'s stock and I was running almost 8#'s with stock carb jetting. I only bumped my jetting a few sizes when went to a bigger roller cam.