Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Starter or Ring Gear headache?!!! >

Starter or Ring Gear headache?!!!

Notices

Starter or Ring Gear headache?!!!

Old 03-19-2012, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starter or Ring Gear headache?!!!

Well guys, took my Baja Hammer 350ci out this weekend. Cruising away from the dock in the channel and accidentally disconnected my kill switch. Obviously the boat fell on its face and I had traffic rushing up behind. The motor dieseled & chugged a couple times and while it coughed, I hit the ignition. Well needless to say it didnt sound happy, grinding and making a racket. After it died and I started it back up it ran perfect...heard it grind slightly a couple times later in the day when starting it. Got it home and went to flush motor.....well it grinds like a mad man! motor is not turning over either. Sounds like teeth missing from ring gear???....I havent had time to pull the starter as the bolts were rusty so its being sprayed with PB BLaster every day this week in hopes the bolts come out smooth. Looking for any good news in the bad news Im sure to hear in replies (i know "Hey JLBSPD, only good news is youll have a new ring gear! LOL)!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:08 PM
Registered

Also if it does end up being the ring gear and having to unbolt and shift the motor forword to remove the flywheel, anything else you guys would check / address / routine maint. while the motor is unbolted? I only have a cherry picker so removing the motor entirely is out of question right now. The boat is a 2001 Baja Hammer 350ci Alpha drive.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:14 PM
Registered

Put in a new starter if you put the ring gear in just because .
Old 03-19-2012, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

rotare the engine by hand first,5/8 socket and a braker bar on the crank bolt..rotate a litttle and then try the starter,if it cranks the you know your missing teeth on the flywheel.
Old 03-19-2012, 05:59 PM
Registered

Good call fixx.....sometimes ya get so pis#ed when things happen you forget the simple diagnosing technics..
Old 03-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by jlbspd
Good call fixx.....sometimes ya get so pis#ed when things happen you forget the simple diagnosing technics..
if it turns over and if teeth are missing you will hear a skipping in the cranking pattern,,kinda like a clicking..
Old 03-28-2012, 12:50 PM
Registered

Ok..sorry for the late update...I rotated the crank a bit and every time it comes to one spot, it grinds and stops rotating...deff sign that teeth are missing!
So ive torn down all the accessories from the front of the motor in order to gain more room to jockey it around & pull the motor out of the boat. Because I have no "professional way" of pulling the motor, Ill be using an electric engine winch, chain and as the saying may go "you might me a redneck if you have a motor hanging from a tree in your yard"...well thats what Im going to do

Last edited by jlbspd; 03-28-2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:09 PM
Registered

These are my plans when I get the motor out... its a 2001 350ci 260hp carb motor mated to a alpha one. Because I dont know the exact hours, I plan on replacing the exhaust manifold & elbow gaskets, intake silicone and gasket (seems to be leaking along the front edge where its siliconed)....maybe just buy a whole basic gasket kit and replace what I can easily get to while its out. Suggestions?
Also....there is alot of heavy rust around the feet of the block where it bolts to motor mounts, misc spots all about and some starting on manifolds and accessory brackets. What is the best way to address this and the best way to paint it to help slow rust down and what kind of paint to use for motor & for exhaust...The orig. owner i dont believe washed it down much... out of sight out of mind for him I bet.
I attempted to locate the serial numbers for this motor but I dont see the plate by the starter and its faded away on the carb cover. The block is stamped 880 which I believe indicates 350ci which I know this...but how can I be sure the gaskets and any otherr parts I buy are going to be correct without the serial number?
Im also going to replace the starter (it has a Arco 30470 on it now) and the alternator (not sure what it has but I believe its only 65amp rated). The manifolds say 807988-C.
I need to order the parts asap so I can get it out on the water SOON! Kids and wife are begging me! not a bad thing is it lol I just dont want to get caught in the parts being sent back and forth to get the right stuff....

Last edited by jlbspd; 03-28-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:24 PM
Registered

Also thought of dressing up the motor a bit, scraping the factory arrestor plastic cover and doing something a bit nicer on the cheap....any suggestions on some decent cheap dress up parts that will hold up to salt enviroment....im maticulous for cleaning so I wont be like previous owner and forget to wash it down lol

side note: Weird....i hate cleaning...hate cleaning anything lol...I clean dont get me wrong and Im kind of a neat freak...but...when it comes to my boat, i love cleaning
Old 03-29-2012, 02:17 AM
Registered

bump

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.