Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Nickerson vs. Prosystems on a 502 with a b&m 250 blower...which one??? >

Nickerson vs. Prosystems on a 502 with a b&m 250 blower...which one???

Notices

Nickerson vs. Prosystems on a 502 with a b&m 250 blower...which one???

Old 03-27-2012, 07:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nickerson vs. Prosystems on a 502 with a b&m 250 blower...which one???

I currently have a 1050 dominator at Nickerson Performance getting the "stage 5" upgrades done to it for my 502 that runs a b&m 250 blower. I was quoted around $700.00 for these upgrades and needless to say after the $500.00 I have already spent on this carb.....it hits the carburetor budget a little hard. It is still a little cheaper than going with a brand new stage 5 dominator from Nickerson though.

A few months back I talked to Patrick at Prosystems about setting up a carb for me (nice guy...by the way). It would have been a little cheaper to go with Prosystems but sense my carb is at Nickerson Performance as we speak and I gave him the go ahead to do the work. I am committed to Dean at this point. I have heard that Dean is especially good with marine applications that run 250 blowers...any input?

I would really like to know if anyone has run carbs on thier boats from both Nickerson and Prosystems. Any thoughts on which company you liked better and why? Or, if you've run a stage 5 dominator from Nickerson, where you happy with it and do/did you feel that it was money well spent?

Thanks Mark!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:56 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Mark , Dean has built me two stage v's . One from scratch for my 383 ci and the other off my HP 500 . I can tell you i was and have been well pleased with both . Both carbs made my engines run as if fuel injected . Yes a little pricey but what in this sport is cheap especially when you have a wizard like Dean doing the work . I believe you will be well pleased .
Old 03-27-2012, 09:07 PM
Registered

Received 1,207 Likes on 580 Posts

What is the benefit from having someone build a carb for you?
Why not buy an AFR and tune it yourself?

Just curious
Old 03-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Rookie

Just curious
How about going from a stock flow of about 800 cfm to 978 cfm . Larger thin butterflies mounted on thin shafts . A larger baseplate , blended venturies , milled choke horn four corner idle screws and different downlegs just to mention a few things from memory . The fuel requirements for a marine engine differ from that of a car engine and Dean changes the way that fuel is delivered . I don't believe it's anything you can tune and again from my old memory i think he can show 30 h.p. on the dyno .
Old 03-27-2012, 10:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rookie

Just curious
From what Dean told me, in doing a "stage 5" upgrade to a carb they port and pollish the venturies, put adjustable air bleeds in the mettering blocks, install billet boosters, flow the carb, taylor it specifically for your application, etc....(and he said, "it won't run like crap ") lol!

I don't know for certain but would say in compairing a stock 1050 dominator to a Nickerson stage 5 dominator is apples to oranges. I'm feeling a little bit better about the $700 I'm paying for the upgrades at this point but man....these unexpected extra expenses are killing me!
Old 03-27-2012, 10:12 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Originally Posted by mustangmark
From what Dean told me, in doing a "stage 5" upgrade to a carb they port and pollish the venturies, put adjustable air bleeds in the mettering blocks, install billet boosters, flow the carb, taylor it specifically for your application, etc....(and he said, "it won't run like crap ") lol!

I don't know for certain but would say in compairing a stock 1050 dominator to a Nickerson stage 5 dominator is apples to oranges. I'm feeling a little bit better about the $700 I'm paying for the upgrades at this point but man....these unexpected extra expenses are killing me!
Mark , Take a good look around in here , you have a lot of good company , me included. No wonder people think were bizerk .........
Old 03-27-2012, 10:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by the deep
Mark , Take a good look around in here , you have a lot of good company , me included. No wonder people think were bizerk .........
Thanks Deep! It is starting to sound like spending $1200.00-$1300.00 with Dean is not uncommon with this group. I really don't have a problem spending the money. Knowing that the carb won't lean out on the top end is reassuring! I have nothing against Prosystems but I have heard very little about them compaired to Nickerson on this forum and my experience first hand with Prosystems carbs through my friends is mixed. Several friends have run Prosystems carbs on the street with great results and then 1 friend had one on a boat with results that haven't been so great so far...so at this point when it come to Prosystems..... I'm neutral. As for Nickerson, I personally have no experience with their carbs and can only go with what I've read and have been told.
Old 03-28-2012, 05:09 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I had Nickerson Performance set up my carbs (4 750's) for my blown Top Gun ten yrs ago. They worked (and still do) flawlessly. Dean and his family run a nice operation. I've spent a lot of time there on their dyno. Dean and his family are very nice people.

Kurt
Old 03-28-2012, 12:25 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 for Dean. I had him do a stage 5 on my 800 years ago. Ran night and day better than before. Well worth the $$$$ in my opinion.