Getting ready to do spark plug readings, have a few questions

Notices

Getting ready to do spark plug readings, have a few questions

Old 03-28-2012, 05:22 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by pqjack
worth mentionning...do not use the plugs that have been on the engine for 5 years....just sayin...
I don't think he's retarded , he's just a drunk.....just sayin.....
Old 03-28-2012, 10:42 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If it is a bravo drive, you need to pull it into neutral before the motor stops spinning.. Sometimes it can make it to neutral.. sometimes not, depends on the bump rings on the gears. They need to be spinning to complete a shift.
So pull it into neutral, as soon as you can after the motor is shut down. I usually slow down and then neutral and kill it.. But in a perfect world, you run it hard then kill it.. But at 80mph I wouldnt try that.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:37 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
if you have a 4v carb do the primary first,take off the flame arrestor and open throttle just until the secondarys start to open, mark the throttle position..run the boat like mentioned and use your mark on the throttle and adjust accordingly,then do the wot..this way you wont run lein on the primary circuit..
x2
Old 03-29-2012, 09:45 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
If it is a bravo drive, you need to pull it into neutral before the motor stops spinning.. Sometimes it can make it to neutral.. sometimes not, depends on the bump rings on the gears. They need to be spinning to complete a shift.
So pull it into neutral, as soon as you can after the motor is shut down. I usually slow down and then neutral and kill it.. But in a perfect world, you run it hard then kill it.. But at 80mph I wouldnt try that.
I'm glad to hear I can slow it down some first, wasn't looking forward to killing it at 63 mph, probably would be ok but I think fear of the unknown is what had me a little worried
Old 03-29-2012, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would spend the $ & use a wide band 02 sensor to tune it.
Old 03-29-2012, 01:44 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 87MagnumII
I'm glad to hear I can slow it down some first, wasn't looking forward to killing it at 63 mph, probably would be ok but I think fear of the unknown is what had me a little worried
I was just looking at your avatar...which boat is yours?
Old 03-29-2012, 02:33 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Thunderstruck27
I was just looking at your avatar...which boat is yours?
The one being towed in

I put a new fuel gauge sending unit in last year and the picture is proof that 1/4 of a tank is really almost empty. The guy towing me is my cousin in his Concord Mach III. Boat was running good that day till I ran out of go juice.
Old 03-29-2012, 09:05 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Got new plugs in. Had trouble starting it tonight but it's 55* outside and I have the choke set all the way open. Going to readjust choke tomorrow and get the idle adjusted up. It's going to be 80* Monday and I'm off work so I figure this will be a great day for testing (and drinking beer)! I've got a 350 with vortec heads and an LT4 hot cam, performer rpm intake, 650 demon. Elevation on the lake is 2995 above sea level. Carb came with 72 primary, 80 secondary. I jetted down to 70 and 78. Any guesses as to how close I will be? Give your thoughts, is it going to be rich, lean, or damn close? I will post pics of the plugs after I make a couple passes to get your opinions.
Old 03-29-2012, 10:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by 87MagnumII
Got new plugs in. Had trouble starting it tonight but it's 55* outside and I have the choke set all the way open. Going to readjust choke tomorrow and get the idle adjusted up. It's going to be 80* Monday and I'm off work so I figure this will be a great day for testing (and drinking beer)! I've got a 350 with vortec heads and an LT4 hot cam, performer rpm intake, 650 demon. Elevation on the lake is 2995 above sea level. Carb came with 72 primary, 80 secondary. I jetted down to 70 and 78. Any guesses as to how close I will be? Give your thoughts, is it going to be rich, lean, or damn close? I will post pics of the plugs after I make a couple passes to get your opinions.
where is the timing @
Old 03-29-2012, 10:14 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
where is the timing @
Set it last year at 32-33. Gonna double Check it and set it 32 full advance.
I'm going to take some extra plugs with me so I can swap them in and idle back to the trailer and not ruin the readings from wide open runs on the installed plugs The guy at the local race shop told me to bring him the test plugs and he will look at the them under light and magnification to tell better what is going on. I don't know much about fire rings and what not and this guy knows his stuff so I'm trusting him to help me out.

Last edited by 87MagnumII; 03-29-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.