Notices

Vinyl Wraps

Old 03-30-2012, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 502ss
Big supporter of the wraps! As said before the quality of the material makes a big difference in the end product. Over the past 5 years this technology has really matured and this is evident if you look at a well designed wrap printed on the right material and installed by the right person!

I plan to do a partial wrap on my scarab in the next 2 months. I finished the design and I am in the process of de-rigging the boat in preparation.

Here are a few of my other toys I have done wraps/full color graphics on and a rendering of the scarab.

turned out great
Old 03-30-2012, 03:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jlbspd
I plan on installing it myself as I have dont a few much smaller projects but think Im capable of doing my boat.
Typo....I have done a few much smaller projects......

Preping the surface and working in a sterile enviroment is a big key. The vertical sides shouldn't be to difficult as long as you have good help. The wraps seem to be very forgiving (see youtube videos) and can be pulled and reapplied as you go to make a smooth, bubble free surface. Compound curves and odd bends seem to be where the technic and special tools come into play. I hate to pay the install fee ....but then again I would hate to run into problems....what to do what to do...guess everything is an art form in some way.

Last edited by jlbspd; 03-30-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Trust me, you dont want to do a BIG vinyl wrap yourself. It took 2 pro's almost a full day (8 hours) to do mine. I couldnt even imagine trying to take that job on myself. You would be suprised at all the bubbles and issues that they have to deal with. Also, on my boat they ended up having to print some new graphics (for the part above the rubrail) because what I had wouldnt cover the colored gelcoat. IMO it was well worth paying $650 to get a finished product that you could be proud of.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

and there is about 20 or so different materials for all kinds of uses, the prices vary wildly, and if you are looking for cheap, thats what you are going to get...weather it's what you need or not, we get caught with that crap a lot, as we do install's for co's all over the country, and almost always they get the the cheapest vinyl for flat surface(smooth side box truck/trailer) and we have to work like hell to try to get it to look good on a very curvy car...so want cheap...I'll print you one..just don't *****....just trying to make you understand....what you see on youtube is not what you will see in a real world install in most cases...
Old 04-02-2012, 03:19 AM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

I had my boat wrapped for 1/10th of the cost of paint and wont hesitate to do it again! Material my guy used was marine grade and guaranteed for 5yrs. IMO it was very durable. I used bumper covers as a pre caution. I was happy with the shine of it and I had many people that couldn't tell it wasn't paint until I showed them the seams. Ill ad a couple pics when I get home tonight
Old 04-02-2012, 03:55 AM
Registered

Rattle can it!
Old 04-02-2012, 09:33 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by THE 288 KID
Rattle can it!
I also think the wrap looks pretty good I have seen some really cool ones that look shiny and real clear. I too would do it also.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I paid $3,900 for an amazing Mitcher T paint job on my Velocity 280, that included both sides and deck. It looks more like $39,000, I would check him out before I did a wrap.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
I paid $3,900 for an amazing Mitcher T paint job on my Velocity 280, that included both sides and deck. It looks more like $39,000, I would check him out before I did a wrap.
Got any pics! Curious of the level of detail for $3900
Old 04-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Registered

Mitcher t did some awesome work to my 288 for 3k

He will be redoing my a/t when it becomes time. He's a real pleasure to work with and always been reasonably priced in my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.