Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Aluminum Fuel Tank Installation (re-install) >

Aluminum Fuel Tank Installation (re-install)

Notices

Aluminum Fuel Tank Installation (re-install)

Old 03-29-2012, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aluminum Fuel Tank Installation (re-install)

1991 Formula 242 . . .

I am at the beginning of a stringer and bulkhead repair project, for which I have removed the 94 gallon aluminum fuel tank.

The tank is painted and was installed with foam at the factory. The tank will need to be re-painted, as the paint has been scratched in places during the removal.

I have come to understand that there is much concern about the use of foam to install aluminum tanks, because it can hold water against the tank and cause corrosion.

I have also read a few excerpts from the ABYC H-24 standard for fuel tank installation, which describes acceptable installations using foam. Basically the adhesion to the tank has to be stronger than the foam, so that there is little chance that water could get between foam and tank.

I'd like to use foam to some extent, because of the great adhesion and energy absorbtion, but I do not want it to be problematic either.

Comments, experience, advise??? thanks much.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bump.

I sent a note to Formula tech support to see what their recommendation is for re-install.

Looking for any other advise or experience here. Thanks much.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just foamed new tanks into my chris cat, used 4 pound density from US composites, installed new drain tubes between bulkheads and capped tank and foam to hull joint with a couple layers of vinylester resin and 1708 glass