525 loosing oil pressure over 4000rpm >

525 loosing oil pressure over 4000rpm

Notices

525 loosing oil pressure over 4000rpm

Old 03-30-2012, 08:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 525 loosing oil pressure over 4000rpm

I had a buddy ask me to help him this weekend, and so the story goes on. This is the description of the problem that I was told: Oil pressure is 50-60 when he starts it and upto 4000 rpm's. Once he goes over 4000, the oil pressure gauge starts to drop, but he said it gets eratic and flustuates up and down. It has dropped down to 10psi, so he has been driving it under 4000 until the problem is fixed. I think it is about a 2007 model.
If the sensor for the gauge is bad, where is that located at? I could change it with my 502mpi, behind the intake manifold if they are the same. I also asked him if he had changed a sea pump impeller and he said he did have to change one and maybe the problem started after that. If he didn't retrieve all the rubber parts will they plug up the oil cooler like they will on my 502? I know the oil will get hot if there is a restriction, been there done that many times.
I havn't had to do much work on 525's as the few that are around here, were all new and have not had any breakdowns or problems until now. Thanks for any help or ideas!
Old 03-30-2012, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

An impeller failing can cause hotter than normal oil temps if you don't retrieve all of the pieces, but it can't cause the oil pressure to fluctuate. It can cause it to go down some from elevated oil temps,but it won't fluctuate.

The first thing to do is to verify if it's really a problem. The best way to do it is to temporarily install a mechanical gauge. Go to Autozone or such and grab a cheap mechanical gauge.

Be sure the oil level is correct and not to low so that the pan is being pumped dry.

Eddie
Old 03-30-2012, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Eddie, I probably have a mechanical oil gauge in my box of old drag racing parts, if not I can pick one up. Is the pickup at the same place behind the intake on a 525?