New to me 30ft Nordic w/ engine problems >

New to me 30ft Nordic w/ engine problems

Notices

New to me 30ft Nordic w/ engine problems

Old 04-02-2012, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 1,234 Likes on 688 Posts

Oil pressure should be around 70 PSI cold.

I saw this on an engine that someone did for me... they used the wrong main bearings. Definitely get it out and gone through.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rsparso
So do you know why the previous owner thought there was no oil pressure ? 40 cold, 30 warm, at idle doesn't sound like 'no pressure' ?
After speaking with him some more it would drop to nothing.

Originally Posted by tinman565
Nice boat. Lets hope your problem is not so bad. Could be a bad oil pump (In my years of racing/engine building, you would not believe the guys who want to re-use an oil pump because they figured it didnt have alot of hours/miles on it), could be that the pickup fell off, or it could be they added a different pan, and didnt take the proper measurements for the pump/pickup tube.

Can I ask you a dumb question ? Did you CHECK to see how much oil was in the motor ? I saw a guy put a "chrome" dipstick in his motor cause it looked cool. Problem was...the bling stick was about 6" LONGER than the original. The stick was going all the way down, and touching the bottom of the pan. It showed full when there was 3 quarts in the pan. He had little to no oil pressure too. Just an idea. (and a dumb story...but true)
I did check the dip stick which there is oil on. I have not drained the oil and re-filled. I will be pulling the filter, cutting it open and changing the oil if there isn't a ton of metal in the filter.

Originally Posted by magnum350
What kind of pressure do those engines require? 30 psi warms sound like plenty to me, but then again I know nothing about high performance engines...
I have read that this pressure is adequate but my friend with the same engines says it should be more.

Originally Posted by TROR
I would defiantly change the oil and filter. Cut the filter open &you check for metal. If it spun a bearing, there will be lots in it. Your oil psi doesn't sound too bad, but I would think on a fresh oh it would be more. I would bet the guy who built it didn't ck bearing clearances & probably just slapped bearings in it. My 2 cents.
You are probably right because the previous owner was pissed that this happened and didn't have very good things to say about the guy that did the last OH.

Originally Posted by mike tkach
after looking at the picture again,im guessing u are in arazona.
I am in Vegas

Originally Posted by chuck32
just an idea but my dad bought a truck one time with a similar situation the guy he bought it from had just put a gm crate motor in it and lost oil pressure,he dropped the pan and they had not tightened the oil pump bolts good and they had came loose but not all the way out and lost pressure,he tightened em down and was good to go
Thx for the heads up!

Originally Posted by Chico&Zeus
Let us know where you are. I have a 35' Nordic and live in Peoria, AZ... I do most of my own wrenching, I'm no engine builder but I'd be willing to take a look at it or recommend some local marine mechanics.
I just bought this in Tempe! It's back here in Vegas now. Do you know anyone here that you could recommend?

Originally Posted by ezstriper
I think I would pull it....but remember, oil pump, bearing clearances oil cooler/lines etc will all effect oil pressure..just a brand new factory 454 spun a rod bearing, had slight knock that sounded more like a piston slap, with NO loss in oil pressure, so ? better off finding out what you really have...
I am most likely going to just have it re-built by someone that knows what they are doing so I do not have to worry about it.

Thanks for the responses guys! I got a good enough deal on this badboy so I will probably just "bust out another thousand" or three and get this sucker re-built. I came to the realization that it will be better to just start from new for piece of mind.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:26 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by The Ace
I came to the realization that it will be better to just start from new for piece of mind.
If you have the cabbage....that is the BEST way to deal with things like this. Please keep us posted sir.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

People that do krylon rebuilds,rings & bearings usually dont replace cam bearings & you can lose pressure pretty quick as the oil heats up. jmo Randy
Old 04-03-2012, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

congrats on a beautiful boat. i assume the engine issue caused a price adjustment in your favor? anyway, i agree with striper. you sometimes can't hear a knock at idle-no load. an unnecessary engine r&r is not wasted. and much cheaper than a necessary engine r&r that wasn't done. pull it. check the crank. replace the bearings. new oil pump. plus i always find free tools every time i pull an engine out...
Old 04-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Registered

Motor is pulled! That was quite a chore for a first timer . Nice to have friends that know how to do these things! I really don't envy anyone that has more than one engine seeing how tight it was to get to those rear motor mounts. Taking it to the builder tomorrow to get it started on the OH.

Thanks for the compliment dereknkathy! I will ask them to please hand over any tools that they find And yes I did get a smoking deal on this badboy so I really have no complaints getting it rebuilt. At least I will have piece of mind that everything is going to operate the way it should until I mess it up.

Last edited by The Ace; 04-03-2012 at 06:23 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Registered

Exclamation Update

So the builder found a melted piston or 2 as well as spun bearings. Apparently whoever built it last had no idea what they were doing.

Just had the engine balanced and it should be put back together next week ready to drop in! I can't wait to see if it floats!

In the mean time I have been hard at work on the interior: New carpet, had to re-do the sides as the plywood layers were literally coming unglued from each other but the bonus find was 2 12" sub boxes hidden behind them , new cabin fans, new tinted glass hatch to replace the one that never came with the boat, painted all vinyl back to white and repaired some minor tears, new front cushions to replace the trashed ones, new master cylinder assembly and re-ran all new brake lines for the trailer.

It seems that I would get into one project then find something new when digging into that one! Welcome to boat ownership right?!

I am exhausted but the end is near! Will get some interior shots once it is all put back together.
Old 05-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Registered

What the history with the outdrive?? Perfect time to service it.
Old 05-21-2012, 04:50 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HiMark Racing
What the history with the outdrive?? Perfect time to service it.
Already did that too (forgot to mention)! I am waiting to put it back on the boat though to change the oil.

Thanks for the heads up!