Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Wrenches are a flying!! Water in Oil! Help!! >

Wrenches are a flying!! Water in Oil! Help!!

Notices

Wrenches are a flying!! Water in Oil! Help!!

Old 04-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Saga continues..OK, one point for MIKE!! It does not look like the intake..got it all back together and I sealed it well and it leaked just like it did before..So I yanked it all off and guess what I found??? A few head studs are just hand tight and the sealant used looks to have deteriorated. Some of the studs go right into the water jacket, and some are blind. I am yanking all the studs and putting "The right stuff" on them". Any problem using this..It seamed to work well on the intake. Just questioning if this is the problem or should I send the heads in and have them surfaced and pressure tested..Only 15 days till Havasu.

Last edited by HiMark Racing; 04-10-2012 at 02:32 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:49 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

My suggestion is that the next time you have it all together, use a Stant type radiator pressure testing pump and pump up the water side of the system by blocking the outlet side and pump into the water intake on the circulating engine water pump or the crossover if thats what your engine has. You can put some radiator leak indicator in the engine before pumping it up and it will show up at the leaks if any on a re-teardown. Pump it up to about 14-15 psi and see if the gauge holds pressure and does not drop. If the pressure drops you may be able to see and hear where the leaks are.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 04-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had same problem with my blower intake, water in oil in a matter of minutes.
As mentioned earlier, I also had to keep going around the intake torqueing the bolts until the 1st bolt was still tight once I got to the last one. With just 3 rounds, the 1st bolt tightened could be unscrewed by hand. I think at times it took 8-10 of going around the intake till the intake was pulled down tight. I checked it for flatness and fit, pressure tested block, had heads resurfaced chasing down this water in oil problem. Once I stumbled across this loose intake condition by accident and did the more than 3X around, all was good and never another problem. My stock Merc intake was never a problem, just the B&M blower intake
Old 04-10-2012, 06:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Raylar
My suggestion is that the next time you have it all together, use a Stant type radiator pressure testing pump and pump up the water side of the system by blocking the outlet side and pump into the water intake on the circulating engine water pump or the crossover if thats what your engine has. You can put some radiator leak indicator in the engine before pumping it up and it will show up at the leaks if any on a re-teardown. Pump it up to about 14-15 psi and see if the gauge holds pressure and does not drop. If the pressure drops you may be able to see and hear where the leaks are.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
That is pretty much what I have done..I put a schrader valve on one side and a gauge on the other..I can't hear anything and it drops all in about 10 minutes. My next trick will be filling the motor with Hot Water and Dye and pressurize it again if this fix does not work.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:01 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
I had same problem with my blower intake, water in oil in a matter of minutes.
As mentioned earlier, I also had to keep going around the intake torqueing the bolts until the 1st bolt was still tight once I got to the last one. With just 3 rounds, the 1st bolt tightened could be unscrewed by hand. I think at times it took 8-10 of going around the intake till the intake was pulled down tight. I checked it for flatness and fit, pressure tested block, had heads resurfaced chasing down this water in oil problem. Once I stumbled across this loose intake condition by accident and did the more than 3X around, all was good and never another problem. My stock Merc intake was never a problem, just the B&M blower intake
I did exactly that this last time..probably went around 15 times over three days before I pressure checked it. There is no way it's the intake..
Old 04-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by HiMark Racing
The Saga continues..OK, one point for MIKE!! It does not look like the intake..got it all back together and I sealed it well and it leaked just like it did before..So I yanked it all off and guess what I found??? A few head studs are just hand tight and the sealant used looks to have deteriorated. Some of the studs go right into the water jacket, and some are blind. I am yanking all the studs and putting "The right stuff" on them". Any problem using this..It seamed to work well on the intake. Just questioning if this is the problem or should I send the heads in and have them surfaced and pressure tested..Only 15 days till Havasu.
i use a product called leaklock on the studs that protrude into the water jacket,really seals good,put it on a small screwdriver and spread it on the threads in the block ,and torque the heads within 30 minutes.i think you just found the leak.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Registered

The head studs have got to be it..a few were like finger tight and the one's that go into the water jackets that go thru the dowel..looked like coffee residue all over them..I was thinking of having the heads pressure tested and surfaced..but the shop thinks I would be wasting money..and that money is my booze money for Havasu. (Big Booze Budget, Ha!!). There telling me my heads and block are pretty much bullet proof and should be the last thing to look at.
So, I just finished pulling ALL the studs, sealed them and tightened the studs into the block..Gonna let it sit over night and put the heads back on in the morning..need some ARP lube.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

DO NOT torque the studs into the head. Finger tight is good.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i use a product called leaklock on the studs that protrude into the water jacket,really seals good,put it on a small screwdriver and spread it on the threads in the block ,and torque the heads within 30 minutes.i think you just found the leak.
I hope you are right..gonna assemble tomorrow.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
DO NOT torque the studs into the head. Finger tight is good.
Uhhhh, I torque them into the block..20 lbs..not good..Why??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.