Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
non-marine alum intakes raw water salt. >

non-marine alum intakes raw water salt.

Notices

non-marine alum intakes raw water salt.

Old 04-06-2012, 06:22 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Default non-marine alum intakes raw water salt.

edelbrock performers. small block. is there a coating or paint i can use on the inside of water passage to stop-slow the corrosion? it won't sit in water all summer, but several weekends. also has GLM alum exhausts. how well will these hold up? they are about 3-4 years old all Delaware river philly area sorta fresh water until now.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:23 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

You can have the intake water passage hard anodized! If your going to use it in salt water you really need to do this. I've bought two salt water boats and I can say never again! Things that don't even touch salt water were completely rotted out. One boat I had, when I started it, power steering fluid started spraying everywhere out of the ram in the back... Point is, even if you flush it well there will still be salt left behind.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sold a cast iron manifold tonight to a guy that bought a boat with an edelbrock aluminum intake it rotted and filled his engine with water
Old 04-06-2012, 08:20 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can slow it down by flushing with a solution of Dawn dish washing liquid. It neutralizes the salt...aka NACl.

I had a Formula F-18 for 9 years...exclusive salt water use...12 months out of the year in SE Florida. I did this every time I used it....no problem. I ran a Performer on the 302 Ford for 5 of those years.

My new motors have marine versions of the Performer that are brass lined. I will still use the Dawn.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

I sure am glad I don't boat in salt water! What a PITA!
Old 04-06-2012, 09:03 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

A few years ago I rebuilt a set of 575 SCI's. The original Merc intakes were nearly rotted through. I sent a new set of intakes to Connecticut Coatings and had them ceramic coated. Just a few weeks ago, I took the t-stat housing off, dropped my bore scope down for a look. So far, the still look good. They are used in salt, flushed out nearly every use.
Personally, I would just go with closed cooling and be done with it. i have been running my engines that way for years with no corrosion issues at all. IMO, running in the salt is not as bad as most think, if you take precautions.

Last edited by Vinny P; 04-06-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:29 PM
Registered

I use salt water to raw water cool my SBC. This is what the water passages on a RPMairgap looked like after 5 years. It didn't leak when it came off, and it looks like it would have leaked out of the motor before it leaked in. I flush and rinse it every time with a bit of dish soap. I thought when the bubbles stop coming out the exhaust, you flushed it enough.

Old 04-07-2012, 01:15 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just get one of these with the optional hard coat anodize? I don't know if this one is for your year but they have them for other years also.

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-12679...1987-1995.aspx