MSD 6M Replacement >

MSD 6M Replacement

Notices

MSD 6M Replacement

Old 04-09-2012, 09:19 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts
Default MSD 6M Replacement

I know this will start a maelstrom of responses. I am interested in recommendations to replace my MSD 6M. I am looking at replacing just the box not the whole system. I have the MSD distributor setup with a custom advance bushing that gives me more initial timing for a better idle and I have the HVC-2 coil. I am considering Mallory or Crane with the built in rev limiters. I've had to replace my 6M once already and I haven't heard anything good about them so I want to get a backup unit before the season starts.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:37 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Daytona sensors cd-1
Old 04-10-2012, 07:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

I have the 6ML-2 blue msd box with rev limiter.. No problems..My timing is locked in at 34 degrees idle no advance
Old 04-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Banned

Daytona Sensors x 3. Full features, will wire right in to your MSD distributor. Great tech support.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by 35fountain
I have the 6ML-2 blue msd box with rev limiter.. No problems..My timing is locked in at 34 degrees idle no advance
What compression are you running? I tried the MSD start delay box with a locked distributor but the box screwed up my ignition so bad I had to remove it. I was thinking of trying to lock it at 34 but was afraid of toasting the starter. I have a 524 at 10:1 compression, although I have a pretty big cam, to bleed off pressure while starting. I haven't checked to see what my cranking pressure is.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 696 Likes on 350 Posts

i'd go w/ the crane.worked well for many years and still going.just picked up 2 for my own boat.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by sutphen 30
i'd go w/ the crane.worked well for many years and still going.just picked up 2 for my own boat.
The Crane is this same thing as Daytona. Daytona has improved the box from what Crane had years back. The engineer at Daytona, designed the box for Crane back then. Yes is a excellent piece.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
I know this will start a maelstrom of responses. I am interested in recommendations to replace my MSD 6M. I am looking at replacing just the box not the whole system. I have the MSD distributor setup with a custom advance bushing that gives me more initial timing for a better idle and I have the HVC-2 coil. I am considering Mallory or Crane with the built in rev limiters. I've had to replace my 6M once already and I haven't heard anything good about them so I want to get a backup unit before the season starts.
The Daytona Sensors CD-1 Marine box is certified and comes with the coil. Call Bob Madara, I supply his for since I am WD he is a dealer for me.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:13 PM
Registered

I have two of these, new in the boxes, sitting on the shelf that I was going to use on a project that is never going to happen. Let me know if your interested, and I can get them shipped out ASAP.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin
What compression are you running? I tried the MSD start delay box with a locked distributor but the box screwed up my ignition so bad I had to remove it. I was thinking of trying to lock it at 34 but was afraid of toasting the starter. I have a 524 at 10:1 compression, although I have a pretty big cam, to bleed off pressure while starting. I haven't checked to see what my cranking pressure is.
I have Twin 509 ci.. 9.1 compression- (2) 1000 amp cranking starting batteries set on both on the Bat switch.According to Nickerson performance at 9.1 compression if I had starter lag then it is a battery or a cable...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.