Header Choices >

Header Choices

Notices

Header Choices

Old 04-13-2012, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 434 Likes on 194 Posts
Default Header Choices

I'm a little confused on what headers to run on a new setup. There is a lot of two sided views on the same product on this site. You hear the horror stories along with nothing but good things on similar setups.

I have an old pair of Stainless Marine manifolds that I intended to run on a new pair of 572cu in w/ 420 megablowers. Problem is, they are used, and have been in salt water all their life. I will take reliability over HP and would like a little advice from experienced users. I am a little nervous to use these, not worth it if there is a catastrophe. Also, I'm very nervous to buy a new set as I have heard of major catastrophes.

Any advice?

Last edited by frickstyle; 04-13-2012 at 07:48 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 07:52 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 393 Likes on 141 Posts

If you can't get hold of some KE headers, (the best IHMO) then go with either IMCO Power flow PLUS, or the SM Gen III manifolds.
Old 04-13-2012, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 434 Likes on 194 Posts

Thanks for the advice. Are you saying the Stellings are not a good choice? I would almost rather have manifold style if they are on the safe side vs. a true header design that I have read about coming apart, leaking, etc.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:50 PM
bor
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

we had a blown 502 whit stylings on them and bought it make 750 hp for a few years after rebuilding it at the same specs we get it on a super flow dyno and only see 675 hp ! Now the part you won't believe ,we swapped the stylings for a pair cast KE and we maked 800+ Hp after a few hours fine tuning it almost maked 900hp :eek drop:

We set it at 850 to keep it save but it was unbelievable U have to been there to believe it

I wish the made a set for ls small block !
Old 04-13-2012, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

On a 572 cubic inch well equipped blower engine the Stainless Marine HiTorque III system works very well also and a lot of performance boaters and big dollar boats have been using them successfully for years with good results and reasonable cost. The Kieth Eickert cast sweeper headers are great units too and as said here develop great power and torque, they just cost a little more with special tips and all.
Neither have a problem with leakage or breakage and seem very long lived with good maintenance and care.
You couldn't go wrong with either.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 04-14-2012, 06:56 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

stainless marine gen III manifolds with 5" tails! Very nice!
Old 04-14-2012, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Raylar
On a 572 cubic inch well equipped blower engine the Stainless Marine HiTorque III system works very well also and a lot of performance boaters and big dollar boats have been using them successfully for years with good results and reasonable cost. The Kieth Eickert cast sweeper headers are great units too and as said here develop great power and torque, they just cost a little more with special tips and all.
Neither have a problem with leakage or breakage and seem very long lived with good maintenance and care.
You couldn't go wrong with either.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
You mean these Ray? I will advise this when selecting the KE cast exhaust, be very selective on your hardware for bolting to your heads. The large casting area around the mounting holes does not have alot of clearance. Had to grind off some of the hex area to clear the casting. Thinking using a SS allen head bolt instead. Drilled for safety wiring of course!!

The KE cutaway pic is the old original header. Note in mine, KE no longer uses two water exit points. The rear boss area is left untouched. BTW. Having bungs welded into the tails for O2 sensors.
Attached Thumbnails Header Choices-new-motor-pics-005.jpg   Header Choices-motor-build-stage-002.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by ROTAX454; 04-14-2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rotax is right on the KEs, I had to grind off the arp studs on the lower middle 2 fasteners to get the headers to clear. They are fine now though and I agree after almost 10yrs of running 2 sets of KEs they are the catz azz.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:37 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes, those are the KE headers I was referring to. I realize many cast manifolds and manifold headers will usually have a problem with clearance height on lower head row of ARP type studs as studs on this row are taller than head bolts and require more clearance that most all brands of cast manifolds do not have versus flange style tubular headers which generally do not have a head stud clearance problem at the same point. As you said the solution if pretty simple to keep existing studs or new ones in use on your engines. Glad to hear KE cleaned up the water transfer points near the tails is obviously looks cleaner on the new style.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar

Last edited by Raylar; 04-15-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:08 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

What's the difference in performance between the Stainless Marine or KE and Lightning tubular headers? My Lightnings lasted 14 years, how does that compare to the Stainless Marine or KE?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.