help with 383 chevy thunder 383 vortec

Notices

help with 383 chevy thunder 383 vortec

Old 04-15-2012, 11:16 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by 87MagnumII
I think that is THE boat, he has another post on here looking for a cobra drive because the one on the boat he bought is busted. Not a bad looking boat tho, just not the fastest thing on the water, but doesn't appear to be designed for speed.
+1 Multiple issues going on here . I can tell you with certainty that an 1988 Cobra drive will not live behind that stroker . They are very questionable behind a stock 260 hp 350 unless mounted in a very light boat . You can get a King Cobra lower out of Cali. for a couple k and i promise it won't break . Hang a 19 or 21p Viper 3 blade prop on it and go boating . Again , the regular Cobra drive is VERY weak and will do nothing but cause an oil slick on the water . My word is my oath....the deep
Old 04-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been running an OMC Cobra drive behind my 406 SBC for years. no problems just easy on the throttle coming on plane. I have a video on you tube of my Chris scorpion latest super charged 406 that will hit the water next week. just put new upolstery in almost ready to go. do a search for" Dave's 406 supercharged Chriscraft motor" on Youtube it also idles at 750rpm. no money for dyno but machinest estimates 500+hp
Old 04-16-2012, 09:52 AM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Originally Posted by doggiedave
I've been running an OMC Cobra drive behind my 406 SBC for years. no problems just easy on the throttle coming on plane. I have a video on you tube of my Chris scorpion latest super charged 406 that will hit the water next week. just put new upolstery in almost ready to go. do a search for" Dave's 406 supercharged Chriscraft motor" on Youtube it also idles at 750rpm. no money for dyno but machinest estimates 500+hp
Not a question of if just a question of when . Sorry bro just the truth , those old dog gears hate power and if the interupter is not working goodbye . Not trying to pizz on your parade . deep
Old 04-16-2012, 11:37 AM
Registered

No problem. I've found that the shift linkage/shift interupter and bearing adjustment adjustment are critical to the life span. years back had a freind that was really knowledgeable on Cobra drives teach me how to build them right. rebuilt mine twice in 10 years. not big on wave hopping either
Old 04-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Registered

just for info. I forgot to mention that OMC changed the angle on the dog clutch from 2 degrees to 5 degrees on later models for stronger engagement which is what I installed in mine when rebuilding not sure what year the change was made
Old 04-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Registered

Yes that is the exact boat. Someone posted about an alpha one conversion. Has anyone here done that? Also the boat is 8' wide but donzi says it weighs 3500 lb....53 mph and 4800I or so rim's still seems low. My 22' Baja weighed 3200 pounds and had an 8' beam and with a stock 7.4 and bravo ran 64
Old 04-16-2012, 05:13 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

How do you know for sure the engine is what the seller says it is? Maybe that it is not making the Power they claimed. Here is a link to the conversion for the outdrive.

http://www.sterndrive.cc/mm5/merchan...ory_Code=Cobra
Old 04-16-2012, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default fixx

Originally Posted by the deep
+1 Multiple issues going on here . I can tell you with certainty that an 1988 Cobra drive will not live behind that stroker . They are very questionable behind a stock 260 hp 350 unless mounted in a very light boat . You can get a King Cobra lower out of Cali. for a couple k and i promise it won't break . Hang a 19 or 21p Viper 3 blade prop on it and go boating . Again , the regular Cobra drive is VERY weak and will do nothing but cause an oil slick on the water . My word is my oath....the deep
Sorry i have to disagree with you..one of my customer's has a 211 liberator with a 468 alunimum head ford that pumps out 490 hp and 600 ft lbs of tq @ 5100 rpms..i did the engine over 10 yrs ago and his dog clutch has had no issues up until last year when he hit a rock and scattered the lower..he is also running a 16x20 labbed mach 4 blade..it all depends on how you treat the cobra drive..
Old 04-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
Sorry i have to disagree with you..one of my customer's has a 211 liberator with a 468 alunimum head ford that pumps out 490 hp and 600 ft lbs of tq @ 5100 rpms..i did the engine over 10 yrs ago and his dog clutch has had no issues up until last year when he hit a rock and scattered the lower..he is also running a 16x20 labbed mach 4 blade..it all depends on how you treat the cobra drive..
Fix are we talking about the Cobra or the King Cobra and i am only speaking of mid to late 1980's vintage . Hell my first Cobra broke the first day of my first vacation with it , running a 260hp 5.7 . Just cruising down the lake and boom ....... 21' 210 Horizon open bow . Smoked a couple more Cobra's and went to the King Cobra lower and no more problems . I have seen many Cobras' bite the dust and never have seen a King Cobra break . No i never did hammer em out of the hole , just eased them up . I believe the 460 Ford came with a King Cobra , i still have the shop manual . Anyway i was just trying to save this guy some headaches and i will stick to my black drives . 11 seasons and no failures' i'll take it..........deep
Old 04-17-2012, 06:15 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the Cobra to Merc swap is really difficult. you unbolt the Cobra stuff, sell it on Craigslist, and bolt the Merc stuff in...hardest part is making the backwards throttle work without replacing. although i have seen more Alphas die than Cobras. but there are a lot more Mercs out there. percentage wise i don't think there is much diff. OMC copied the Alpha as soon as Mercs patent ran out.