another oil filter question >

another oil filter question

Notices

another oil filter question

Old 04-16-2012, 11:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Raylar;3665402]
My suggestion, save some money, put the good Wix racing filter on and use your boat! Spend more time and resources caring and servicing other important and many times overlooked parts and systems on your engine and you will be way ahead!

good advice Ray too bad there is'nt an alternative for the Merc cool fuel filters ,with the crappy fuel we are getting now its probably more important than the oil filter.
Old 04-17-2012, 12:26 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Yes It is, the fuel filtering systems on the newer EFI engines is probably the most critical service item on the engines and sometimes overlooked especially on the new CoolFuel II systems where there is no longer a simple spin on fuel water seperator filter, but a small cartidge element filter in the fuel pump housing under a balck plastic cover plate that is hard to even see when actually looking for the filter.
With todays fuel issues, changing this filter regularly is a critical item in keeping the EFI fuel system and injectors flowing the correct amount of fuel,not having a misfire, power reduction or damaging the injectors and lean burning the engine.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 04-17-2012, 01:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BillK
mi,
Another possibility which I rarely see used in marine applications is a System 1 Filter. They are a screen type filter and come apart so you can examine them and clean the screen at each oil change. Circle track racers use them so they dont have to buy a filter each week plus they have the added advantage of being able to see if there is any bearing material etc in the filter and catch problems early. They are a little pricy but if you figure the cost over 10 oil changes and you never have to buy another one, I think they are a bargain. The micron ratings and flow figures are on thier web site and they simply spin on like a normal filter. Just another option.

http://www.system1filters.com/oilfilters.htm

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
I just picked one up. These things would have helped avoid complete internal destruction from bearing crap etc if used more. Very nice set up and you can put them in line. Very easy to maintain as well.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
But I have to ask, what is your opinion on flow vs filtration? .
Personally I would prefer the flow. If there is something circulating in the oil that is going to get stopped by the filter, there is probably already damage getting started and a finer filter isn't going to help a thing. Raylar pretty much summed it up.

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md